Six vises

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
These six high vises that I just delivered eventually will be used at The Woodwright’s School in Pittsboro, NC. The vise design is the same as in the NCWW workshop last month. Vises are mostly mahogany with bits of walnut. Many thanks to Phil S for the donation of the mahogany for this project.
B29EE82B-9F8D-4C6D-8F45-624FBE02F906.jpeg

Temporarily clamped in each vise is a spacer that is the width of the leg used to avoid racking when these vises are clamped in the face vises of the school’s benches.

F97048DD-66FA-4C68-A351-36324A5F10CD.jpeg

0F79DCEB-42C4-4E76-A117-573846872868.jpeg

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
Super nice set of vises. I'm taking a class there in August. Perhaps I'll get to use one of these.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Those are some beauties. The school is lucky to receive them.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Someday, post COVID, I dream of a class there. Never had any formal instruction so I am sure I do everything wrong. ( Though thanks to PBS, I have learned a lot)

JohnnyR

John
Corporate Member
I assume that mahogany came from the lawyers office doors Phil removed during renovation. That said, they've been pre-conditioned for their role as vises and vices. (As a recovering atty I should know)

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
Mike, beautiful work! It looks like you even plugged the pins, nice touch.

I brought the 5/16” plug cutter to the workshop and forgot. If any participants want to bring their wood to my shop (Midtown Raleigh), I’ll be glad to cut plugs for them.

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
On these vises, I did a couple of things differently from the workshop vises.

DAMHIK the mahogany is easy to dent with clamp pressure. Although it’s hard to see in the photos, the top and bottom of the bracket are clad with thin walnut to help resist denting.

I used two RTA bolts to attach the bracket to the leg since it is more likely to need replacement in a school environment. Also used four pan head assembly screws into the block.

4D8C7B5C-970A-4DE5-95EB-3703D5F4DB8A.jpeg

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
Beautiful and highly functional!
Thanks Donn. The students liked the function and also they enjoyed flipping the handwheels. I went into detail with one student who expressed an interest in building one.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS