Site update status: Test site available

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I was able to upload photos using my Android phone (Galaxy S9). If you try to attach an image directly to a post, there is a size limitation. The raw photo file on my phone was ~3.5MB, which was rejected. I used an app called Picsay to resize the photo on my phone to 1600x1200, which dropped it to about 0.5MB. That uploaded without problems.

Alternatively, if you click on the Menu (three stripes) and select Media - Your Albums. Then pick an album and select Add Media (red box). You can then upload your photo, even a large one.

The media navigation can be a bit cumbersome. If you don't select an album first, you get a list of all possible albums you can put your new photo into....it's a very large list. At the bottom you can pick a personal album. This will be item #44,218 on our site improvement Wish List, to put that option at the top :)

FlyingRon

Ron
Ron,
A few questions - and I am posting it here so everyone can see your answers.
1. I attempted to log in and it said "Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site" I am using Chrome and have "Allow sites to save and read cookie data (on) and there is no hyperlink on the alert to change the setting. Am I missing something?
Don't know. I'll see if I can dig through the site and see what triggers that message. I'm using Chrome exclusively and haven't seen it.

2. The "Home" screen seems to be a choice of three "jump" buttons (Access NCWW Forum," "Back to the real site," and "PHPMyAdmin (admin only)" in the VB software "home" would display a list of "Posts From Last 15 Days"
Question: when the XenForo software goes live will the Home screen link to "what's new" or will we need to navigate to the "What's New" tab?
The three button home screen is just there for the test site. I wanted a place to warn people not to create content they wanted to save there. The "start" is currently set to the Forum List, though it's probably configurable to what's new if we'd like to do that.

3. (may be my settings), but the VB version is the width of my screen at 100%, I have to increase the zoom on the XF version to 125% to "match it"
Are we talking about the wide yellow border areas. I'm pretty sure that's also configurable. I'll see if I can get more content, less margin.
4. I was not able to "attach pictures" - goign to try a different method... found that a 2,637 KB picture was too large, 1153 KB was too large.
A 970 KB file uploaded - I am guessing files are limited to 1 meg (1000KB), is that right?
Mike noticed the size limits as well. I don't kwow what they default to, but at least we should publish what they are and possibly incrase them.

redknife

Chris
Corporate Member
Ahh, file size probably explains the differing experience uploading from iPhone. Is max file upload size an admin setting? Many pics don’t need hi-res but it is nice to see things like Phil’s Pennsylvania box or Charlie’s segmented turnings in hi-res. It’s also a time factor to convert the image.

Anyway, I am excited about this conversion and I like the test site. Big thanks to Ron et al.

FlyingRon

Ron
I was able to upload photos using my Android phone (Galaxy S9). If you try to attach an image directly to a post, there is a size limitation. The raw photo file on my phone was ~3.5MB, which was rejected. I used an app called Picsay to resize the photo on my phone to 1600x1200, which dropped it to about 0.5MB. That uploaded without problems.

Alternatively, if you click on the Menu (three stripes) and select Media - Your Albums. Then pick an album and select Add Media (red box). You can then upload your photo, even a large one.

The media navigation can be a bit cumbersome. If you don't select an album first, you get a list of all possible albums you can put your new photo into....it's a very large list. At the bottom you can pick a personal album. This will be item #44,218 on our site improvement Wish List, to put that option at the top :)
Yes, I'll need to check the upload size limits. I'm pretty sure they're settable somewhere.

I found the initial media gallery screen clunky as well. I'll see if I can find a better way.

FlyingRon

Ron
Can’t login. Says bad password. I can’t find a link to reset the password.

Current security ”standard” usually, if there a password or username is to NOT say which it is in the error message.

Also, thank you very much for your work.

Yeah, sorry about that Steve. I had to change your password because USER ID #1 is a magic one when you're installing the software. Your account should be there and you can go through the "I forgot my password" to set it back. I'll make a note of saving/restoring it next time around.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Bas, can you post some pictures?
I tried to do that, but am probably not understanding what you are doing.
I was in a thread - maybe you are starting somewhere else?

I clicked on the Menu:
View attachment 29730

Then I chose Media and this is what I saw:
View attachment 29731

I did not see an option for "your albums"???

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Ron,
Thank you for your quick responses - please let us know if there is anything we can do to help get over to the new site more quickly!

What is your "ETA" for go-live on XF?

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have had some "play" time. I like what I see. Yes the look is different but I see a lot of pluses. Also I really like the Calendar add function. I have not figured out how the moderator and admin tools work but I am still playing.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Figured out some of the moderator function. Well at least how to delete and then undelete a thread. Worker well.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Bas, can you post some pictures?
I tried to do that, but am probably not understanding what you are doing.
I was in a thread - maybe you are starting somewhere else?

I clicked on the Menu:
View attachment 29730

Then I chose Media and this is what I saw:
View attachment 29731

I did not see an option for "your albums"???

You have the wrong menu, you want the three horizontal bars on the top left of the screen. Note that you only see that if you're on a mobile browser. If you're on a PC with a regular browser, select "Media" from the top menu and click "Your albums"

EDIT: There is currently no way that I can see to select a photo from an album to insert into a post. You have to either attach a file or supply the URL.

Last edited:

gator

George
Corporate Member
Just a first quick un through. Checked out "Forums", there was no Corporate Member forum as on the current site.. I sthis being imported or is this infor going to a different forum? Otherwise it looks good and I am sure that like anything new or renovated, it will take tweeking to get it close to the old site.

George

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Yeah, sorry about that Steve. I had to change your password because USER ID #1 is a magic one when you're installing the software. Your account should be there and you can go through the "I forgot my password" to set it back. I'll make a note of saving/restoring it next time around.
Can’t change password. It says it will send an email. But I never receive it.:(:(

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
I posted a test and when I clicked back I got the "Cookies are required" error and was logged out...using Chrome. When I try to login I get the error.

Last edited:

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS