Site Changes Coming!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Over the next couple of months I will be making changes to the site. Hopefully, they will be enhancements:rotflm:

There will be a new version of vbulletin that we upgrade to. It will provide the basis for other many other changes.

I am going to address several nagging issues with our Photo Gallery.

There will be a totally new Classifieds system. This one just doesn't do what we need.

Our registration and location system will be rewritten to minimize the frustration and at times anger experienced by people trying to become members.

To the best of my ability I will try to minimize the amount of time that the system is down. This means that I will make many changes without taking down the systems. To you this means you will see changes and be undone and redone on the fly. It may get annoying, so please bear with us. When possible, I will try to give you warning when this is happening.

gordonmt

New User
Mark Gordon
This may seem an improper question but my motives are honorable.
The development, maintance, and upkeep of this system must in some way involve money to make things happen. Serveres, equipment, software etc. I have been active on a motorcycle forum for years and one day some one asked and found out that most of the finances were done the founder of the system and they just never bothered to ask for help. It turns out the amount was actually quite significant.
I know I look into this forum at least once a day and take great enjoyment from the posters here. I would have no problem making a small contribution to such a good forum but I don't know if I am stepping into something I should leave alone.
Well, I have already stuck my neck out so let me know. Can I help out in a more tangible way than adding electrons to the web?
Signed, a greatful poster.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Thanks Steve for continuing to make the site what it is.
I am sure all will go smoothly.

jerrye

New User
Jerry
Mark,
Your question has been asked at least several times before. The answer, unless I misread it, is one best explained by an experience I had at church. We had someone donate money that might not have been used as they thought it should. It was used for their purpose, but since THEY thought it MIGHT not, they asked for their money back. In my opinion they never gave it in the first place. When you give something, especially money, to an organization, a person, a website/forum you need to do so with the understanding that IT IS NO LONGER YOURS. To think a gift you gave is still in your control is to have never given it. If one cannot give a gift, with absolutely no strings attached, then one is better off never giving. As I understand it, Steve has concerns with the possible consternation this could cause. I understand his position. However I too would like to aid with the expenses incurred here. I've not had a chance to speak with Steve personally about this. If one can give money, TRULY give money, to the support of this forum, maybe the thing to do is just send him a check/money order. YMMV.
Jerry

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Thanks, Steve :icon_bigs:eusa_clap:notworthy:from another grateful member of this site. If it wasn't for your hard work and dedication, this site wouldn't be what it is today!
We are sure you will get things tuned up nicely. As with any upgrade, "stuff" happens and we just have to remember to be patient if it does...

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Steve does a fabulous job. Thank you Steve. But right now he does not want to charge( unless things have changed), for reasons above. He does however greatly appreciate all that happens to keep this site alive, meaning member participation. Klingspor Events, Woodcraft events, and any other gathering that gets woodworkers out to meet and help other woodworkers, The Annual Picnic is also near and dear to his heart, I know that some people cannot come because of prior commitments or traveling, but this means alot to him. And for those that can make it the cost is whatever the park charges for entry, that's it.

So keep spreading the word, keep posting (and keep it clean), show up at as many events and gatherings and enjoy the website for what it is.

"Build it and they will come" - Steve did and we did.

Jimmy:)

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Thanks Steve, I mean Mr. Smurf. :icon_scra:lol::lol::lol: Although, I'm not a hundred percent sure what those changes are, they sound good to me. Thanks for all that you do! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

PS- That is a cool tat. You must be a really hip dude. :headbang:

Trent

Don Sorensen

New User
Butch
Wow...you're going to make this site "better"? I'm already so blown away by how easy it is to get around, stuff loads quick, and the people are good, too.

Thanks for all the hard work, Papa Smurf.

Terry

New User
Terrence P. Rielly
Papa Smurf,

Thank You for the work you have done to keep this saite up and with all the other things you do for us otherwise. I only have one :5question! Where is the Smurf Avatar you use to have? That fits you to a tee!, Oh Boy :5oops:am I in trouble now!:5help: HE! HE!
Terry:crossedlips::5duh:

M

McRabbet

Thanks, Papa! I'll do what I can to help, but I think you know that -- BTW, one of my goals is to improve our Libraries, but right now I'm providing hands-on support to LOML who had a successful cervical laminectomy (C3-C4 vertebrae; she had C5-C6 done 45 years ago) yesterday. She'll be home from the hospital by Monday, we hope and I'll be busy keeping her off the trapeze for a few weeks, but then I'll get at the Library.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS