single wide into a shop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
Anyone ever turn a single wide into a shop? Anyone think it can be done?

We are looking at a tract of land that has a single wide on it. It is an old one and I do not think it would be worth very much. Trying to think of different ways I might use it before I just have it towed off. Hay storage is a thought but it would be a pain to put it in and take it out. Maybe incoporate it into the barn and use it for tack room and other storage?

Of course all of this means nothing if we do not buy it. Sort of been through this once. We made an offer, not accepted, on a place with a new 32X48 steel building that would have been the shop from heaven.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I remember reading a workshop book from Taunton Press that had a single wide set up as a shop. They ripped out the kitchen, dining room, and living room and made it the main machine tool room and left one of the bedrooms as a finishing room.

My only concerns would be floor thickness if you put any heavy machinery in it. I would also consider door size as a 36" door is kind of narrow to get stuff in and out easily at times.

Glennbear

Glenn
I have seen pictures in a "how-to" book on workshops where a semi-trailer box was used as a shop extension but in that case the doors was just removed before attaching to existing shop. I think a single wide would be problematic due to door issues and floor loading problems for machines. I think a tack room is a good idea, easier to keep temperature and humidity controlled for riders and their gear than in the main barn :wsmile:

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
My biggest concern would be weight if you have "big" iron. Yes there is steel beams under most of them but the actual flooring is only thin partical board. I would also suspect you would need to gut and rewire. I would say it is doable but not a turn key setup.

Robert Arrowood

New User
Robert Arrowood
Thats what I have! Yea it ain't much but it's mine.Don't have any heavy iron:gar-Cr but I manage.A mans gotta do what a mans gotta do right.To rewire just run conduit and tap into the main box.If you do have heavy iron lay in some good wood right on top of whats there.It will do until you can do better.Then you can use it for the tack room.

Just my 2ct.

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
I sincerly hope this is my last move so I think I will pass on using the single wide. I do have some heavy iron and I only want to move it one more time.

Since this is going to be a much smaller home I think the single wide will turn into overflow storage. Think I will use the same barn siding on it and tie it into the barn.

The last time we made an offer on a place I would not agree to jump through all the hoops the seller was demanding. I think my wife has put me on notice she wants this place regardless. OH WELL!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS