Single bevel hatchet angles

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
I have an old Keen Kutter single bevel hatchet that was my grandfathers. Years of use, years of abuse.
Searching the WEB for advice on the bevel angle, I get " whatever works" or "Thin it and see if you get damage"

It is around 45 degrees which I suspect is too steep. Back side is a few degrees. Not much, but not flat like a plane. Any suggestions?

Use is for roughing out wood to where I can put a scrub plane on it. De-barking, de-branching.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
My nicer axes are about 25 degrees with a good amount of convex curve. On a single angled roughing ax I would start at 30 degrees and nearly flat. You can adjust with greater convex if you see the need.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Plus one for 25 to 30 degrees. The convex curve dose help with the durability of the bevel.

Wiley's Woodworks

Wiley
Corporate Member
Mike is right on. From my old Boy Scout days the rule of thumb for axes is 30 degrees. I don't see how the single bevel changes this from the normal double bevel grind.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I don't see how the single bevel changes this from the normal double bevel grind.
It doesn't. The intended use may call for some adjustment of the angle. Rougher work or heavy chopping would call for 30 degrees as you point out.
Finer/lighter work such as carving spoons, facing riven boards, light branch removal may call for a thinner profile such as the 25 degrees on my fine hand axes.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS