Since I couldn't surf, I built something...pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Went to visit the in-laws this weekend and MIL had bought us these chairs for $.50 each. They were made by Southern Desk out of Hickory. They needed a few repairs, nothing a sharp chisel, and some Oak patches couldn't cure. So I had to build a fitting table for them. It's done out of scrap Red Oak, left over from an entertainment center build. The top is ply with 1" edge banding, I sanded throught the veneer, but it's going to be painted, so it really doesn't matter. The legs are out of some off-cuts from a buddy's mill, 6/4 stock, would have liked full 8/4 ,but it's a childs table, they should be strong enough. I tapered them about 3/8" on the inside with a new tapering jig I threw together. It ain't the best work I've done( I hope), but I only worked about 5 hours on it, including making the taper jig. What ya'll think? Thanks for looking, Dave:smile:
Avastable005.jpg

Last edited:

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
That table looks good to bme, I be tempted to NOT paint the tabel, but stain and varnish with your favorite technique. Anyway sand through gives character. But I don't even see it

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Ahh, hence the good photo angle. We are going to paint it because we want it match the, soon to be repainted chairs. Although the chairs are nice Red Oak, they're from the '70s and probably covered in lead paint. So I don't care to clean them up, recoating is easiest. If I had my way, and time, they would be all solid wood, and finished well. But it's going to be severly abused, so why put too much effort in to making something more expensive. Thanks for looking, Dave:smile:

R

rickc

I think the table looks very good. Hmm - 5 hrs, huh? It would take me that long to decide how I wanted it to look! Good job!

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
rcorne01 said:
I think the table looks very good. Hmm - 5 hrs, huh? It would take me that long to decide how I wanted it to look! Good job!

It would take me 2 weeks to decide which new tools, I would need. one more week to order them. One week to learn how to use the tool and suffer buyers remorse. And then, oh yeah, what was it, I was going to build?

sapwood

New User
Roger
Looks good to me! Took me two years to make a wine rack that only holds 3 bottles :redface: Lots of interruptions.

How did you attach legs? Tenons and mortises, screws, brackets--

And ditto for attaching top to frame. Guess you could just take another pic at a different angle. :biggrin:

Roger

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Thanks for the kind comments, when you have young children you learn how to do things fast, because shop time is very limited. Part of the speed of build ing the table was using biscuits. The legs are attached to the apron by biscuits and glue, and the top is just glued to the legs/aprons because it's plywood so there isn't a movement issue. I haven't been ww'ing long enough to determine if my construction methods will stand the test of time, but I haven't had any failures (jointery wise) in anything I've built over the past 4-5 years. Dave:smile:

cloudancer

New User
Greg Dake
Afraid I'm with Steve on this one. Took me the last 4 months to finish a garage rolly cabinet. I've got my fingers crossed that the next one doesn't take quite so long.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS