Simple project: Old-fashioned cigarette holder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnpipe108

New User
John Meshkoff
I like to turn small hollow objects, and once many decades ago I had made myself a cigarette holder which got lost long ago. Couple days ago, I decided to make another.

DSCF2820.JPG

Cocobolo & brass. K&S thin-wall hobby tubing from my brass collection, cut to length with a razor saw and trued and cleaned the cut ends with needle files on the Jacobs chuck in the wood lathe. Center drilled each end of the turning square (using same setup on the lathe) and then drilled the bore, feeding with the 60deg live tailstock center. Turned the blank around the bore, driving on a 60deg machinist's dead center. I used a home-made pyramid-point tool, and a Holtzapfel home-made left-hand hardwood turning tool.

The wood-tube fits halfway into the ferrule; I got the join too loose, so added small grooves and wrapped with cotton sewing thread, with a couple spots of CA adhesive, then finished off sanding and polishing between the same centers. The mouthpiece was purchased at a smoker's supply shop for the princely sum of 99 cents! Mouthpiece goes in a counter-bore; main bore is lined with small-bore brass K&S tube for cleaning ease, and in case of cocobolo toxicity!

Regards, John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS