Silver ladders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
I had originally wanted this to be my last pen of 2007.Things don't always happen as I plan them.(I don't make the rules)
Appearances are deceiving and though the camera doesn't lie this pen has more issues that The Saturday Evening Post.
All in all I consider it a success even though I do not consider it a saleable pen,I proved a concept in design and materials.
Ca finish on ebony is always a crap shoot.Because of other issues I chose not to fix the dull spots with another method of finish.
Ebony and aluminum in a PSI Tycoon Roller ball kit in Rhodium.
Comments/suggestion welcome.
silver_ladders_001.jpg

nelsone

New User
Ed
I like the concept. Why did you use CA after you have said so many times that you don't like it? I figured you used lacquer all the time.

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
I like the concept. Why did you use CA after you have said so many times that you don't like it? I figured you used lacquer all the time.

This blank has a long story and I never thought it would get to completion.
My methods of finishing have changed quite a bit in 3 and 1/2 years.
Getting back to the blank.
When I Started the glue up I had a limited number of pieces made up and I Was really cutting it close.
I discovered a serious error after I had started gluing in the inlays.
I did not have enough pieces to start another from scratch but Idid want to see if the blank would hold up and give the desired result.
I made the necessary repairs and forged on.
The blank survived drilling, milling and turning.
I use CA as a sealer on blanks like this.Whenever I read the reasons why CA is not a good adhesive for glue ups I never see it mentioned one thing that ca does better than any other adhesive.It has better wicking properties than any other glue I have used. This is why it is so beneficial for "stabilizing" or hardening blanks while turning.
With the amount of glue joints in this blank I made sure I stopped and added more CA as I went along.
Using a CA finish on top of using it as a sealer is a natural.
My CA finishes aren't consistent.When I am successful they are as good as any ones.
I have never had much luck with a CA finish on ebony and the addition of the aluminum did not improve my odds.
Because of the flaws I noticed while sanding I knew that this pen would not be sold so I figured I may as well try a CA finish as I did want to get it assembled.
No doubt as CA finish is quicker. This pen just was not worth the time and effort to put the normal finish I Would use on ebony with aluminum inlays which is and acrylic sealer and a water based top coat.
The other issue is the piece of ebony itself.It was not as black as I had hoped though initially it was very black and that is why I Selected this piece.
The contrast of the inlay with the lighter brown is growing on me but not what I had envisioned.
This is a close up of one of the repaired sections.You can see the brass tube and a "larger" section of the aluminum strip
silver_ladders_flaw_001_Medium_.jpg

another view of the same area
silver_ladders_flaw_002_Medium_.jpg

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Eagle despite the flaws that is a very classy looking pen. Your blank goes very well with the plating and isn't "too much". Now that you've proved your design concept. Make some more. That would be a blank that I would love to have (although I don't know if I would be worthy to turn it).
Dave:)

nelsone

New User
Ed
Gotcha! Thanks for the clarification. I really do like the design. You're right about the CA wicking in well, I've used it for that a couple times.

ChrisMathes

New User
Chris Mathes
yah, Eagle, I really like where you have gone with this design...can't wait to see your next step. Hey...you have commented many times that you have an ultimate goal in mind with all of this wave design. Any guestimates as to when you think you will be working on that pen? I'm anxiously patiently waiting to see :)

Chris

cskipper

Cathy
I like the concept too. I suspect that Eagle's ultimate goal keeps moving as he tries new methods. Keep up the good work!

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
yah, Eagle, I really like where you have gone with this design...can't wait to see your next step. Hey...you have commented many times that you have an ultimate goal in mind with all of this wave design. Any guestimates as to when you think you will be working on that pen? I'm anxiously patiently waiting to see :)

Chris

I like the concept too. I suspect that Eagle's ultimate goal keeps moving as he tries new methods. Keep up the good work!

Thanks.
This design has been a fun "evolutionary" process.
I have been working with this pattern in one way or another for the last year.
I took part in an exchange at Wood Central a year ago.I found out after a little research that my recipient was on the board of Directors of the AAW.
I felt a little intimidated.I don't turn anything other than pens and did not want to send out a B2b slimline.
That is where this all started.
At this point my wife is saying I need to come up with another design as she is a little tired of seeing the"wave". Actually it is the "parallel wave"
The ultimate "goal" of this design does indeed keep changing.
Each blank yields an opportunity to take step in a new direction with materials.
A "wavy ladders" in sterling silver would be nice. At the moment I can't afford the material and the appearance of the finished pen would not be that much different than using aluminum.
I plan to alter the shape of the "wave" to make it more pronounced" and intricate.There are limitations on that idea due to the size if the finished diameter adn thickness of the materials used in the inlay.
All in all the possibilites are limitless.
Stay tuned:eusa_thin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors