Signing your work

Flute Maker

Mike
User
I make flutes and turn some bowls and some other stuff.

I have tried electric snd flame heated branding irons with mixed results. I just can’t get consistent burning of my initials and a simple brand of a bird on my flutes
What have you guys used to put initials etc on your work?
Thanks in advance!

Echd

C
User
The ortur laser master 2 is an inexpensive and effective diode laser that will engrave and etch very well and handle extremely light cutting tasks if you put in some trial and error. You could get a basic one with a lower powered diode for less than $200.

Mine has a """20 watt""" (it's really more like 5.5) laser. I have cut 1/8" acrylic, 1/4 wood, and it can pound out stencils in paper or cardboard quite well as well. Cutting is not the primary focus and should not be the main goal if you consider one of these, but it can be done after a fashion.

It also has a rotary attachment that can be used for round objects. For something the size of a flute I suspect you wouldn't need it though- for things like wooden turned mugs or the like it would be needed.

The last picture is an example of using it to mark an anodized aluminum surface. It is absolutely not powerful enough to cut metal, but you can either cut through coatings like anodizing or paint, or you can use an etchant to get a small amount of depth engraved in metal. I have seen some people use mustard as a medium on steel.

Quite a fun and economical machine. Use the appropriate safety equipment at all times. It would allow you variety in the size of your engraving along with other possibilities, and the lower wattage versions will do just fine and cost less than a branding iron. Mine came with their at the time top tier laser and accessories and was under $400; the most basic model was under $200 last I checked.

Attachments

• 20211007_165524.jpg
    20211007_165524.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 156
  • 20210922_103526_80.jpg
    20210922_103526_80.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 164
  • 20210926_185844.jpg
    20210926_185844.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 167
  • 20210924_222037.jpg
    20210924_222037.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 166
  • 20211022_203520.jpg
    20211022_203520.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 160

JohnnyR

John
Corporate Member
I've had trouble with a branding iron, rocking it usually and trying to go back usually made it worse. What I did was create a frame for the iron, clamp it down and insert iron. If it's not quite right you can re-apply and be assured it will line up.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
I use a super fine India Ink pen made by Faber-Castell. You can get them at Hobby Lobby, Michaels, and other such places.

AgingHippie

New User
Greg
I use a branding iron, heated with a plumber’s torch. The trick for me is to use a piece of scrap wood to test the temperature. When I get it right on the scrap, I quickly move to the real piece of wood.

For certain CNC projects, I carved my name using the CNC.

HITCH-

Hitch
Corporate Member
Another method not mentioned here is to have medallions engraved that you afix to a recess in the workpiece.

Craptastic

Matt
Corporate Member
I like the logo/signature branding iron when used on a tubular piece (like a flute) because when you rock it the brand isn't always fully even.

Strangely enough, then you know it was made by a person who had pride in what they were doing.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS