Sign with what?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HLW

New User
Harold
My question is this. When you get to the point that you are brave enough to sign your name to one of your turnings, what kind of pen do you use? I know that a "Sharpie" will bleed on some wood grains and in most cases the branding irons are too large for some bowls.:BangHead:

PChristy

New User
Phillip
I haven't got that brave to sign all of my turnings yet - just a couple - but I do sign my scroll saw work and I use either an ink pen or a fine tip sharpie - when I do sign I put one - two coats of clear poly on then sign - I do not have any trouble with the bleeding

Mark Placek

New User
Mark
I still use a sharpie to sign my work, applying a few coats of finish then signing will prevent bleeding, adding a few more coats will protect your signature. When you take the time to create anything, you should always sign and date it.

steviegwood

New User
Steven
I agree with Mark to finish then sign then more finish. That has always worked for me on my scroll work. Steve

HLW

New User
Harold
Well duh ! I haven't thought of finishing and then trying the "Sharpie". I usually use a branding iron on furniture I make. Thanks!:icon_cheers

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
I've always used a sharpie. I only sign my name to the ones that I consider very special gifts. Most of the time I just put the date and type of wood/woods/. I've signed them before any finish is applied, but made sure the ink had time to dry. Have also signed them after applying finish, allowing plenty of time for the finish to dry. It would be cool to brand them though. I'm sure there's a sight online where you can order smaller ones. :eusa_thin

gsdoby

New User
Gary
Someone recommended to me using a pen with archival ink. I have tried this on a couple of pieces and it seems to work OK.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
After finishing normally sign with an ultra fine point "sharpie" and then hit it with light coating of spray poly.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Try Pigma Micron pens. Pigment ink and permanent. Doesn't run, smear or feather out. Ben Franklin, Micheal's and AC Moore carry them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS