sign lettering

Status
Not open for further replies.

poppop

New User
Don
I'm making a sign for the entrance to my church -I thank you all for the help in cutting the letters. I am going to use gold lettering (exterior) paint. I was considering using glass beads to make ie more reflective. Does anyone have any experience with glass beads and their effectiveness?thanks poppop

R

rickc

What about something like these reflective beads? I have never used them, but they sound promising. (I did a search for reflective beads on Google, and these were one of the first hits.)

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I have used 3-M reflective beads, they are very expensive but do a great job and last a long time.

You can apply them to the fresh paint when it gets to the tacky stage or apply a coat of marine spar varnish to adhere the beads.

Again just pour them on at the tacky stage and brush off the excess after the paint completely dries.

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken
I've used golf leaf tissue from craft shops and also gold leaf pens. Both have stood up very well on exterior weather exposed signs. The gold leah tissue needs a clear coat. The pens need to state interior/exterior and I was surprised they are holding up to weather excellently.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
The stuff from craft shops is anodized aluminum or gold foil mylar.

Real 24 K gold leaf does not need any kind of topcoat. I still have a few books, well actually I gave it to my oldest daughter to use on her alter paintings. I used to do gold leaf windows for Drs., lawyers and uh... movie shops. Funny how the highest and lowest of society have the same tastes.

I have my brush box from the first sign shop I ever worked in, my name is done in gold leaf on the lid and still shines after 35 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors