Show me your shop stool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I need a new perch for working on small tedious assemblies and light work at the bench.

What do you use?

What do you like about it?

What would you get if you could have anything?

Jeff

New User
Jeff
This is a bar height swivel chair (24" to the top of the seat and 35" to the top of the backrest) that we bought somewhere back in the late 70s. It's comfortable for sitting at a +/- 3' tall workbench, swivels, and the back rest is nice if you want to lean back and think or just get some support.

P101000117.png

This is a stool that I made a few years ago but it could be used as a shop stool too (about 26" to the top of the seat).

P10100016.png

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
Cheap swivel stool from Global Industrial.
attachment.php

Attachments

• SwivelStool.jpg
    SwivelStool.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 377

Richo B

New User
Richo
The saw bench in my avatar has become my bench in the shop. Use it more for sitting than for sawing since its just the right size for doing dovetails on my bench. This is especially funny since the small stool you can see in the upper right corner was meant to be the shop stool but it is not as high for sitting at the table.
attachment.php

Attachments

• 09_Completed saw bench_4.26.15.jpg
    09_Completed saw bench_4.26.15.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 343
Last edited:

TENdriver

New User
TENdriver
WRT using the sawbench as a stool, I’ve built a handful of these following Christopher Schwarz instructions. Those sawbenches are outstanding exercises in hand tool wood working. As fantastic as they are to make, the design has some inherent flaws that make them exceptionally unstable if you place the slightest amount of weight near the legs/ends.

I would go so far as to say the C.S. design is literally unsafe. I’ve marked the outboard section of my benches with red warnings to help prevent injury. I should rebuild them in a safer more stable version, but I rarely have anyone else in my shop.

Just my experience specifically with th C. S. design.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member

Purchased this swivel stool from Northern Tool about 10 years ago to use as an elevated shop stool.​

100_29541.jpg

Got a little tired of plastering the worn/torn cushion with layers of duct tape so I made a new seat out of quarter sawn oak.​

100_2970.jpg

Nice a strong and accommodates wear and tear perfectly.

Wayne​

Last edited:

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
I've been chewing on the same problem for a while.

20180816_183359.jpg

It serves the purpose.

But my mother had a piano stool that I acquired and "disassembled" for the mechanism.

20180816_183458.jpg

It's on the ever-growing list of things to complete.

Richo B

New User
Richo
WRT using the sawbench as a stool, I’ve built a handful of these following Christopher Schwarz instructions. Those sawbenches are outstanding exercises in hand tool wood working. As fantastic as they are to make, the design has some inherent flaws that make them exceptionally unstable if you place the slightest amount of weight near the legs/ends.

I would go so far as to say the C.S. design is literally unsafe. I’ve marked the outboard section of my benches with red warnings to help prevent injury. I should rebuild them in a safer more stable version, but I rarely have anyone else in my shop.

Just my experience specifically with th C. S. design.

Mine isn't based on C.S. In fact I built mine before I had even heard of him. Mine is from the Aldren A Watson book on Hand Tools: Their Ways and Workings. But all the same I still watch out not to let my butt cross the jaws or else it's tipping time.

Last edited:

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I also use one like bash posted a link to from Northern Tool most often. I have a few wooden ones that are taller for work at the scroll saw, etc. Would like to get a padded pneumatic one that is taller than the NT stool.

Richo B

New User
Richo
Even though I have other stools that look better suited, I find myself using this one way more than any other. $15 with the perpetual $5 off $15 coupon.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200672984_200672984

They had those in the furniture labs at Colonial Williamsburg when I worked there. I want one for my lab here. Now I know where to get one. They're great for working on large pieces of furniture or sofas while seated without sitting on the floor. Thanks for posting this.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
I bought one of these through Walmart. The price seems to have increased since my purchase. It is adjustable and I use it for scroll sawing, and at my Jet Mini Lathe. Because of severe back pain, I need to sit while working, as much as possible. My one complaint is I am always sitting on the edge of the seat, and it's slippery. Got mine in orange to match my Power King Tractors I love to restore and use. Probably should have ordered in red to match my dearly beloved Hawk scroll saws! Woodcraft sells the same stool.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Adjustab...ol-with-Tractor-Seat-Multiple-Colors/10996244

Last edited:

dazart

New User
Steve
Back support - nice. I need some of that. But if you're always sitting forward and not using the back support, maybe not for me.

I bought one of these through Walmart. The price seems to have increased since my purchase. It is adjustable and I use it for scroll sawing, and at my Jet Mini Lathe. Because of severe back pain, I need to sit while working, as much as possible. My one complaint is I am always sitting on the edge of the seat, and it's slippery. Got mine in orange to match my Power King Tractors I love to restore and use. Probably should have ordered in red to match my dearly beloved Hawk scroll saws! Woodcraft sells the same stool.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Adjustab...ol-with-Tractor-Seat-Multiple-Colors/10996244

Last edited:

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
But my mother had a piano stool that I acquired and "disassembled" for the mechanism.

attachment.php

It's on the ever-growing list of things to complete.

I think I have that exact piano stool. My daughter and son-in-law was going to throw this away when they moved into their house this spring. I rescued it for hopes of restoring at some point.
attachment.php

i also have a camp stool that I use too.
attachment.php

Attachments

• DSCN1891.jpg
    DSCN1891.jpg
    251 KB · Views: 227
  • DSCN1892.jpg
    DSCN1892.jpg
    258.2 KB · Views: 218
Last edited:

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
I think I have that exact piano stool. My daughter and son-in-law was going to throw this away when they moved into their house this spring. I rescued it for hopes of restoring at some point.
attachment.php

i also have a camp stool that I use too.
attachment.php

Exactly the same...I saved the parts I think. If you need something let me know

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS