Should we teach use of the hold down on scrollsaw?

Should we teach use of the hold down on scrollsaw?

• Yes - it's safer and will make the student more confident

Votes: 6 30.0%
  • No - we should teach what we really do

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Show it, explain whether or not we use it and let the student decide

Votes: 12 60.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
I never use it and I know many others rarely if ever do. Should we teach scrolling with its use?

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
I think it is helpful for beginners to be encouraged to use the hold down. If they get into the hobby long term, they'll eventually decided for themselves when/if they are ready to get by without it.

Of course, to some degree it also depends on the material one is using. I don't scrollsaw much, but I do often find the hold down helpful when cutting metal or when cuttting fiberglass board.

cskipper

Cathy
When I took my first class we were cutting 1/4" plywood ornaments, The wood kept jumping up because the instructor didn't explain how to use it and I was hesitant to get close enough to the blade to cut the inside cuts. I certainly don't use it anymore, but I think it is a good idea to explain its use. Some of them work a little better than others.The one on my Hegner doesn't let you remove it (not enough clearance) so I just turn it out of the way and raise it as high as it will go.

CarvedTones

Andy
You sort of hit on one reason I never use mine. My saw has greater clearance without it and it required some disassembly to take it off. I rarely cut stuff thick enough to matter, but sometimes I do.

RoyWarren

New User
Roy
It's the first thing I remove when I get a scrollsaw. It's useless, but I guess required by somebodys safety standards that the manufacturer must comply with.

The scroll saw is the safest machine in the shop. You can touch your finger against the blade, and not get cut. (milled blades may be an exception if you try hard enough)

The guide just gets in the way. You have both hands on the work to hold it down, so why would it be necessary for something else to hold it down. It also makes feeding the blade through the holes almost impossible.

I've been scrolling for over 25 years and have never used a guard. I also taught scroll saw lessons at Woodcraft for five or six years and always taught that it was unnecessary.

CarvedTones

Andy
More often than I have cut thick things, I have trimmed or adjusted things (usually jigs) that are assembled and require more clearance.

cskipper

Cathy
I did quit using my hold down very quickly. I had never used any kind of power tools, and even though the class instructor assured us it was safe I was chicken. Probably is the difference in a complete novice versus someone who has probably been around some kind of equipment. I would not make a student use the thing, just explain it's purpose and offer it as an option.

CarvedTones

Andy
IMO, getting past being too apprehensive is the single thing that yields the biggest improvement in scrolling. I don't know how you can teach that; the first few blade breaks scare the _insert_favorite_euphamism_ out of people.

Also, I suggest we DO NOT use reverse tooth blades when teaching, especially if we don't use the guard. Novices over compensate for the lift and white knuckle.

gator

George
Corporate Member
I think it is helpful for beginners to be encouraged to use the hold down. If they get into the hobby long term, they'll eventually decided for themselves when/if they are ready to get by without it.

I agree. Classes should always include all safety steps and features of the tool. Tell someone not to use it and see what happens the first time they get cut or hurt.

George

TedAS

New User
Ted
don't forget some of the folks that you will be teaching may not have full use of their hands.

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
don't forget some of the folks that you will be teaching may not have full use of their hands.

That hadn't even occurred to me, but I'm glad you brought it up -- it is a very important point with regard to our Outreach program.

I should probably have added to my original post that I (personally) feel it is reasonable to teach "as you do" once one gets to the intermediate and, especially, advanced classes. By that time a student has usually developed their own personal methodology and processes and is much more aware of the safety and risk aspects of the hobby. They should also have the confidence by then to either use the hold down or not and make that decision for themselves.

I would agree that scrollsaws are one of the safer tools in our shops (I think my MultiMaster is probably the safest -- if we exclude shop vacs ;)) although I have heard of some stab wounds from broken blades (which really depends upon the type of scrollsaw). Somehow I have managed to avoid broken blades thus far (and I'm probably jinxed now!) as I always seem to wear out my blades before I break them, but I also don't do a lot of scrollsawing as I only use it for detail work and inside cuts.

cskipper

Cathy
I figured with the Wounded Soldiers that there could be folks without full use of limbs, but I hadn't really thought about people at places like Senior Centers. Andy - we were using reverse tooth blades in that intro class - avoiding those while training is a good idea. Ethan - I don't break blades very often either, even though I use the thin puzzle blades and other small blades. Every now and then I get a batch of blades that seem to break, but that's the exception.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
My two cents is we must leave them on the machines. We should teach them safety first and foremost.

Last edited:

CarvedTones

Andy

Oddly enough, that may be a contributing factor in removing them. The first ideas that come to mind to address this possibility are GRRipper like jigs for controlling the work piece without requiring dexterity at the finger tips. That sort of jig would require more clearance near the blade.

As far as breaking goes, I have done a fair amount of scrolling in 4/4 hardwood for intarsia/segmented work and because of the way my tiny shop is set up the scroll saw is the most readily available saw for a quick cut and I have pushed the limits fairly often.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
I feel we should teach it and insist that it be used when they are working on our tools. this just a CYB thing but it should be considered.

CarvedTones

Andy
I feel we should teach it and insist that it be used when they are working on our tools. this just a CYB thing but it should be considered.

Good point - what makes sense could get trumped by what the lawyers say. Speaking of which, is someone working on a waiver for them to sign while their fingers are still attached?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS