Should I hate Stumpy?

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
OK, his videos have taught me, a totally self taught hack, so many things. But, darn. Every time I watch some of his videos, I wind up buying something. Always a good something, but gee. Now I watch a Wood By Wright. Not only did he sell me a burnisher as he was dead on with he problems I have had, but got me excited to see what a "real" chisel can do. I have Marples and a couple of very old ones. So I ordered a single 1/2 inch Narex Ricter. If it is half as good as suggested, it will cost me a fortune to get a few more! There is nothing like the feel of a really fine edge, epically now I moved to more hand joinery.
I am afraid to look. I have a big set of Freud carving chisels I have never been happy with. I bet there is a suggestion for some much better ones. Just when I almost talked myself out of a Harvey G700 DC, yet another rave about it.

I could go back to working on my Triumph, but the next few things there are even more expensive! At least got the MG out today.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I have the Stanley Sweetheart set and they are good enough for most of my work. I did have to spend about 15-30 minutes on each one to get it razor sharp.

For my finest dovetail work I bought a Blue Spruce dovetail chisel, I think it is 7/16 wide. Just right for cleaning up dovetails in 3/4 maple and walnut. I doubt I will ever afford a complete set of Blue Spruce.

yep, I’m good with the Sweethearts.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
I have a Anniversary Set of Narex chisels and a set of long shaft Narex paring chisels. These both are excellent and I use these for detail work. Day to day work I use my old Marples and Stanley #40. I agree with one thing, the desire to buy more tools is harder to resist than any other addiction you can have. After all, who doesn't like more "cool-tools!". :D

Also, Mike posting such a nice set of chisels like that is like cracking a cold beer in front of a person crawling out of the desert dying of thirst.... ;)

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
You don’t have to buy the whole set, but of course the set saves you over two hundred dollars over buying one at a time. I paid $90 for my one 7/16 dovetail chisel and the whole 11 piece set is $945.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have a set of the Stanley Sweet Hearts and they are a fine chisel. The rest of my chisels are really old antiques that have served me well over many years. I have used several of the newer products out there and they are fine tools.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS