Shortening Shotgun Stock

Status
Not open for further replies.

rick7938

New User
Rick
I need advice on shortening 2 shotgun stocks for my wife. She has a pair of Ithaca Model 37's that she has struggled with the last few years. The length of pull (distance from trigger to center of buttplate) of the stock is 14". This is about an inch too long for her according to the "pro" at the Ft Bragg Trap/Skeet range.

I am wanting to shorten these for her and am wondering about the best method. While I like my power tools, I am thinking of using a Dozuki back-saw to cut the stocks. I will use a square to scribe a line around the stock 1" from the end after removing the recoil pads. Then I plan to carefully cut through the stock from both sides and dress the cuts on a piece of sandpaper attached to a flat surface. I am thinking that this will give me a cleaner cut with less tearout than power tools.

I know that a power tool will cut much quicker. I have a nice table saw and miter saw, but I don't have a bandsaw yet. Has anyone used power tools to shorten a stock? What method did you use? Did you have to build a jig to hold the stock in position? Any problem with tear-out?

Thanks for any advice. I will never hear the end of it if I wreck her stocks.

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Rick,

I think I'd defer to the battalion armorer or a (trusted) local gunsmith. I think it would be best to have someone have the shotguns in hand as he or she gave you advice.

JM2CW

Ray

Tom Dunn

New User
Tom Dunn
Good mitre will do it, it's all about being set-up all-nice.
Tape the wood to avoid splintering, save the pieces.
Consider buying either a cheap practice stock, or, better yet in my opinion, keep those factory originals and buy two(birch, maybe) to chop.
www.egunparts.com is a good source, lots of others....

FIVEBYFIVE

New User
MICHAEL
I agree

You should be able to do it with the backsaw, you should take it to a pro, definatly use tape to reduce splintering. leave your stock...well stock, and buy a shorter stock.

Think twice, cut once.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
If it were me, I would buy/make a shorter stock and let her try it first before butchering on a quality item she prizes. Altho the "pro" says it is an inch too long, might it not be 1 1/4" or 3/4"? A replacement would let you dial the length in for the perfect custom fit for her, as well as polish your skills if she decides she wants the originals tailored.
She also may desire a non-standard curve in the butt plate to fit her bone structure.
Another factor is balance. Shortening the stock will also change the balance of the gun. Weight may need to be added, or the current balance may be part of her difficulty with it. If her problem is that the gun is too barrel heavy for her, shortening the stock without weight adjustment will only compound it.

Just some thoughts
Go

Robert Arrowood

New User
Robert Arrowood
Give yourself a challange! Tell her you want to make the stock but you will need to buy some new toys "oops". I mean tools.:rolf:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors