Short video of my carving an Ashiko Drum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhythm House Drums

New User
Kevin
Just a short video I did of me carving the bottom groove out of an ashiko drum. The groove helps the bottom ring from slipping up... nothing exciting. I weld the ring at the end of the video, full screen it and turn the volume up to really feel the power from that welder... :) I love toys!

Let me know what you think!!!

[YOUTUBE]fFxw8QfBUfk[/YOUTUBE]

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Kevin boy you looked intense doing the carving. If I may make a suggestion? If you film another how about talking and explain what you are doing and why. I am sure folks like me will get to understand better.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
That seems very inefficient, I would use a much larger chisel or turn on a lathe.

The welding part is old hat. :roll:

Rhythm House Drums

New User
Kevin
I know.... it was two in the am and my baby wouldn't sleep....so it was a drogy attempt at humor, and playing with imovie...

I'd love to use a lathe on these, but don't have one yet. I can carve the groove in about 20 min. So its not too bad. I'd love to learn more about carving and carve my own designs, but so far I've just used a v chisel and traced a drawing.

Rhythm House Drums

New User
Kevin
In seriousness... I would like to film the whole process of a drum from start to finish, and time-lapse it... but I never remember to break out the camera. The above video was taken from my phone.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I'm not really close to you and I know you don't have much spare time, but I have a pretty large lathe and would be glad to help you turn a few drums one day. I guess if we started early one morning we could turn 3 or 4 in a day. Probably will have to make some jigs to fill the hollow ends but that's no biggie. Anyway it sounds like a fun thing, let me know if you want to try it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS