Shopping for scrollsaw

Status
Not open for further replies.

ednl

ed
Senior User
I have been using a Delta scrollsaw for 7 years and while the saw is still in very good condition, I am ready to upgrade to either the Hawk, Hegner, or Excalibur. Although YouTube videos are informative I would really like to touch and feel at least one or all three of these saws. But I don't know where these saws are displayed or sold in any woodworking stores; at least not in or around Cary. Before I buy a VERY expensive new tool it would be nice to give it a test run, at least for a few minutes. Does anyone know where I can go, within a 200 mile radius, to see and feel either of these three saws?
p.s. I think I could be happy with the new Jet saw but I'm pretty certain the other three will retain their resale value much longer.
Thanks. ed

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
Klingspor Extravaganza will have a couple of saws to check out.
Part will have todo with your style of feeding your fretwork. Top or bottom feeding.
Part will have to do with budget.
Jet will be there and that saw is beautiful,if you're a bottom feeder.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Ed sadly the Excalibur is not longer being made by General Tools. There is a clone of the EX available through Woodcraft in the US. It is called a KING. While I have not used one I understand it is made in the same factory as the EX was and is a clone in every way.

ednl

ed
Senior User
Thank you Scott and Berta. I will try to visit the Extravaganza and continue my research until I can get some hands-on time with a saw.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
I cut my scrolling teeth on a small Craftsman many years ago. From there I moved up to a Delta P-20, then the Dewalt DW788, which I cut with for many years, then a Hegner, and finally a Hawk G-426. At the Extravaganza, you will be able to touch a Jet and a DW788, both sold by Klingspors. There is also a new saw on the market by Seyco of Rock Wall, TX which is certainly intriguing, but can only be mail ordered as are the Hegner and the Hawk. My preference these days is the Hawk. There are several reasons for this, but the biggest being the ease with which I can top feed. I may possibly bring my Hawk to the Extravaganza to use in my demonstration cutting. You'd certainly be welcome to give it a test drive ed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS