ShopNotes box joint jig [PICS]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monty

New User
Monty
I've had the plans and hardware on my shelf to make this jig for months now. It's from ShopNotes, issue #8.

Like most of my projects, it's been on back burner. This past weekend, someone in our local WW club brought in some great boxes, made with box joints. That motivated me to make the jig. So I did:

IMG_0206.jpg

IMG_0209.jpg

IMG_0210.jpg

I just need to attach it to my miter gauge to complete the setup. It's made out of a piece of walnut sapwood that I really couldn't use for anything else. The micro-adjustment feature is really smooth -- it's kind of hard for me to believe that I made something so precise. Both the size and spacing of the pins can be micro-adjusted (1/2 turn = 1/64 inch adjustment).

I don't know if anyone else has made this jig, but I just thought I'd share. Now I need to make some boxes! Maybe I'll have some time to test it out in the next week or two...

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Wow that looks really nice. I am impressed with the precision. Are you at all concerned with wood movement. Can you post the plans. The best I've done with a box joint is a piece of MDF with a hardwood spline for a spacer, then use a bunch of wood filler. Thanks for showing us. Dave:)

Monty

New User
Monty
Thanks. The actual plans are not available online, but they're really cheap. Here are some links:

It's a bit of trouble to make, but it's kind of a fun challenge (at least for me). Plus, it's still a LOT cheaper than buying a jig!

At least I think it's cheaper... :eusa_thin let's see: I used < $1 worth of wood, probably $6-8 worth of hardware, and about $150 worth of labor! How'd I do?!?!? :-D

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
I built that one last fall and have used it for about a dozen boxes. You can get first pass results with a router table, spiral bit and micrometer.

Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors