shop wall and ceiling question

Status
Not open for further replies.

wapitiscat

New User
Todd Earnhardt
Well, I've miscalulated my witholding allowance (again!) and will be getting some money back from the feds. I was going use the "windfall" to finish my garage walls and ceiling. Do you all advocate drywall all around or something sturdier like T-111 ply on the walls. Also, has anyone done any sound proofing in their shop? Stuff like barrier membrane and channel standoffs on the studs?

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
the ply is good, you can attach stuff to it without any worry as to whether you might hit a stud. Norm did his garage shop project with shiplapped pine, and painted it an offwhite to aid in lighting, IIRC...

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
I drywalled my ceiling and finished it off with gloss white paint. The walls are insulated and finished off with 3/8" beaded ply painted a light gray. I added the insulation for just that.....insulation since my shop is a detached garage.

D L

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I did sheetrock as it was a lot cheaper than OSB and the others. I put 3/4 inch plywood up on the walls where I was going to have benches and painted it as well. My strongest recommendation is to not buy cheap paint. I did on the interior ($5 a gallon) and ended up having to do 6 coats to get halfway decent coverage.

sapwood

New User
Roger
I like plywood. It's easy to add shelves, cabinets, hooks, or whatever by attaching with screws. And if you install it using screws, it's easy to remove and replace when altering wiring. I've done that several times to add 220 outlet, bigger subpanel, etc. I also used BORG "oops" paint and only needed to apply two coats. It was light blue so lighting properties weren't enhanced, but I enjoy being in a "Carolina Blue" shop :lol:

Go Heels!
Sapwood

Jay

New User
Jay
Knew I liked you Sapwood! Go Heels, Go Canes, Go Patriots, Go Red Sox

Okay I'm not a totally transplanted Yankee!

Excuse me for hijacking this thread!

Jay

M

McRabbet

Now hold it:eusa_hand , you two (Sapwood and Jay)! The boys in sky blue got beat by a so-so Virginia team and you gloat? They will drop out of the top 25, for sure! Duke is ACC basketball and will again win the conference and will replace the Tar Heels as National Champions. And to think that Sapwood even hails from Duke's home city! :eusa_naug :eusa_naug :eusa_naug

Rob

Ozzie-x

New User
Randy
Sapwood's points about plywood are good. You will always need to add, change, etc, and it's nice to just drive a nail to hang something up. I haven't checked sheetrock lately, but prices may be through the roof, so I hear. Plywood or OSB may be cheaper options now. I lucked up on my shop and got 3 truck loads of free 4'x8' tempered hardboard (masonite). My walls are concrete block, so I put up 1/2" foam insualtion board, topped it with the masonite, then put up 1/2" x 1 1/2" strips 2' O.C. vertically, then run tapcon screws through the strips through everything into the block. Did the ceilings similarly except used regular insulation then air stapled the hardboard to the joists, then stripped it out. The shop was empty, so I was able to shoot the paint with a spray gun. Shot the whole thing with cheap primer first, then got antique white gloss enamel and shot it. I think the final paint covered in one coat. The gloss enamel is good because sawdust doesn't stick to it as much, and it's easier to clean. That's my 2 cents.

sapwood

New User
Roger
McRabbet said:
Now hold it:eusa_hand , you two (Sapwood and Jay)! The boys in sky blue got beat by a so-so Virginia team and you gloat? They will drop out of the top 25, for sure! Duke is ACC basketball and will again win the conference and will replace the Tar Heels as National Champions. And to think that Sapwood even hails from Duke's home city! :eusa_naug :eusa_naug :eusa_naug

Rob
Ahem, until NCAA championships are played in 2006 The Tar Heels are the champs.

And hey, I lived and worked in Chapel Hill until it became so da** expensive I had to move to Durham County :-(

And yeah, I'm so terribly sorry about Duke's loss to Georgetown today ;-)

Sapwood

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors