Shop Vac

Status
Not open for further replies.

TENdriver

New User
TENdriver
Okay, I’m not holding myself out as any kind of an expert, but a HEPA certified system is more than just installing a HEPA filter. Now, from our perspective, I don’t know how much of a real difference there actually is, but I believe EPA/OSHA sees a big difference.

Back to the vacuum, it’s $349 but it comes with some expensive accessories (that I already have) as well as the “certified” HEPA filters. If you can use the extra items, it may not really. be that bad of a deal.

In any case, this is the other Ridgid quiet model that shows as a HEPA: RV2400HF

On another note, I have a couple of the Dust Deputy cyclones. Actually, I think Oneida used to advertise on NCWW and that’s how I ended up buying them. The Dust Deputy cyclones are fantastic for a shop vacuum. They really work as well as you see. Very little gets past the cyclone and into the vacuum. You can buy the deluxe DD that includes everything you’ll need, or you can buy just the cyclone portion. I bought one of each.

Home Depot just released a “Dustopper” cyclonic lid that is a modified Thien baffle. I have no idea how effective it is, but I may pick one up to try.

Last edited:

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
If you're really concerned about Filtering / Noise / Efficiency then I have to point out that the Festool Vacuums are one of the best in all of those categories. I hesitate to point this out because most people balk at the cost of Festool products and I don't want to start another Festool war. All I can say is that sometimes you get what you pay for. I buy a lot of my Festool products from them refurbished which is about as good a discount as can be had.

My constant feeling about Festool is - I've always agonized over the price, but never regretted the purchase. You can quote me on that. Good tools last, inferior tools disappoint.

TENdriver

New User
TENdriver
Ken, I’d mentioned the Fein and Festool options as the the best for noise. No way the consumer grade Ridgid vacuum can compete on noise and I’d expect they come out equally short on general performance.

In my case, I got a Ridgid (and a bunch of accessories) at an extremely low price. It’s a smaller than normal vacuum that may finally end up in the garage where I originally intended to park it with a Dust Deputy. Primarily to be used to clean up whatever turning debris that didn’t make it into the broom, whisk, dust pan and then leaf bag. I wanted something smaller than an enormous 16-gallon shop vacuum but powerful enough to utilize the DD and bucket. So, lathe cleanup and occasional car cleaning was all I needed.

My wife nabbed it for several months but she’s very tired of the noise. Likes the performance, but really hates the noise.

I did look at the better vacuums and seem to remember that the Fein was rated as being noticeably quieter than Festool. If I had any Festool tools, I’d probably stick with their vacuum just to be anal or consistent with a single brand.

Unfortunaley, I’m fat on standard shop vacs and the budget has went for hand tools or wood. I’m mulling over letting the wife demo a Fein for her use but the only way I’ll get to use it, is by dressing up in a maid’s uniform.

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
Unfortunaley, I’m fat on standard shop vacs and the budget has went for hand tools or wood. I’m mulling over letting the wife demo a Fein for her use but the only way I’ll get to use it, is by dressing up in a maid’s uniform.

Now that would be a photo worth seeing! :rotflm:

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member

Uh, that's a visual I was not prepared for upon waking up this morning. Thanks TENdriver...

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
So I heald bac and didn't comment - but since Raymond and Neil jumped in...

I skipped the "Fat on shopvacs" and had to bleach my brain form the commnet "...the only way I’ll get to use it, is by dressing up in a maid’s uniform."
:swoon:

vicegrip

New User
Steve
th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS