Shop Vac filter

Status
Not open for further replies.

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
I use one of those in an older model Rigid shop vac. It took a little jury rigging to get tit to seat right in the molded housing of the vac but seems to work well and I've hosed it out several times without problems.
Don't know if its an exact match, I got it at the orange box as a "universal fit" replacement HEPA filter.

These days I use a 1hp DC for most needs so it only sees occasional use.
Prior to the Dc about 18 mo ago it was in constant use with a Thien separator in front.
Combo worked well but I hated the screaming shop vac.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
I use one of those in an older model Rigid shop vac. It took a little jury rigging to get tit to seat right in the molded housing of the vac but seems to work well and I've hosed it out several times without problems.
Don't know if its an exact match, I got it at the orange box as a "universal fit" replacement HEPA filter.

These days I use a 1hp DC for most needs so it only sees occasional use.
Prior to the Dc about 18 mo ago it was in constant use with a Thien separator in front.
Combo worked well but I hated the screaming shop vac.
I like my shop vacs but the filter design is poor at best - disposable paper cartridge that gets plugged up after a couple of uses. To keep them "clean" I drag the air hose outside and spray from the inside out. It's a freaking nasty messy job but is better than popping $15 to $20 a for new clean filter after a few uses. Shopvac filters are worse than buying replacement razors.

uploadfromtaptalk1451591470342.jpeg

How do you clean your "universal fit" replacement HEPA filter?

Last edited:

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
Jeff, do you have a Sears Shop-Vac? If so, find a HEPA Filter 17912. Is thould fit you Sears. You can rinse it out with water without any worries. I have rinsed my more than 10 times and it is still working.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
garden hose

still a mess but at least its not putting the dust back into the air.

Jeff, do you have a Sears Shop-Vac? If so, find a HEPA Filter 17912. Is thould fit you Sears. You can rinse it out with water without any worries. I have rinsed my more than 10 times and it is still working.

I have shopvac brands and the filters that come with them are non-washable. I think I need to trash the OEM filters and go for aftermarket washable filters.

Thanks for taking time to answer.

SteveHall

Steve
Corporate Member
You can usually just rinse off the standard fiber filters. I have a Ridgid, and both the standard blue filter and green HEPA one have no paper parts. I lightly wash them out and let them completely dry. (I rotate them to ensure this.)

But what works best is also using a paper bag insert. I got tired of the dust clogging the filter as soon as I cleaned it. So I tried the paper bags and that has made all the difference. They cost a fortune, but now the only thing that gets in the filter is ultra fine dust. It takes a long time to clog up the vacuum and it cleans right off because there are no larger chunks getting stuck and tearing the filter medium.

Obxwoody

New User
Andy
Jeff I shelled out the $99 bucks for an Oneida dust deputy and it works fantastic. Well that's my opinion anyways. Everything i've thrown at it it's done well with. And i even used it on a remodel of our nursery for the drywal dust...wanted to see how well it did. Unfortunately my wife had the baby early and someone else finished off the job for me. I' think they didn't understand what it was and just disconnected it...causing the filter to clog quickly. But bought a new filter, hosed off the plastic dust deputy and I'm back in business. No Dust collector for me yet but I've been surviving several years without...I'm sure I'll be tickled to death once I make that ugrade too...

jerrye

New User
Jerry
I use dollar store women's knee high hose over my filter. Not hard to install, is cheap, and effective. May want to give it a try.

kooshball

David
Corporate Member
I have used something like that for years with good results. I have a dust deputy hooked up to my $35 shop-vac and it works well. Just clean it outside with a hose, not inside in the sink.

Glennbear

Glenn
I used an aftermarket washable filter in my Shop Vac for many years successfully. The vac finally died and I bought a Sears and continue to use the same style filter. I keep forgetting to try the knee high hose trick. BTW, I think I have the solution to the leaking gas well problem in CA, just shoot some sawdust and dog hair in the hole and I guarantee it will seal instantly. :gar-La;

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
I have a couple of the "Clean Stream" filters, which do an EXCELLENT job. Take um off, smack in trash can to remove big stuff,then rinse with garden hose. Let them dry and put um back in service. On my "work" shop vac ( a Sears, built by Emerson, think Ridgid) I have a pleated paper filter that is open at both ends. Take it off, and holding by ends smack it in trash can, with the wind behind my back. I need to build an adapter to use Clean Stream filter on my work vac.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
I have a couple of the "Clean Stream" filters, which do an EXCELLENT job. Take um off, smack in trash can to remove big stuff,then rinse with garden hose. Let them dry and put um back in service. On my "work" shop vac ( a Sears, built by Emerson, think Ridgid) I have a pleated paper filter that is open at both ends. Take it off, and holding by ends smack it in trash can, with the wind behind my back. I need to build an adapter to use Clean Stream filter on my work vac.
You mean this on here Bruce? Big plus for me its made in the USA :)

http://www.amazon.com/Shop-vac-903-40-00-HEPA-Cleanstream®-Filter/dp/B006W4WJFC

SteveHall

Steve
Corporate Member
Steve, curious about the paper bags, how do you keep them on?

They are designed for the purpose. I use the High-Efficiency Dust Bags for RIDGID 12 Gal.-16 Gal. Vacuum. The connection piece has a stretchy gasket material (latex?) and some chipboard which fit snugly around the inlet. You can mostly see on the product page how they work, although the video skips the most frustrating part of trying to get it attached properly.

At $17 a bag, they are definitely expensive, but they keep my filters clean and unclogged, and the air clean. When I return from momentary woodworking pause, I will probably investigate a 3rd party re-usable bag, like Herky Filters, since one would be just a $12 more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS