Shop update and NCWW member visits

Status
Not open for further replies.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
It’s been a great week at the farm, complete with several NCWW member visits!

On Monday and Tuesday we fired up the sawmill and generated a couple of days worth of 8” x 8” and 6” x 8” red oak beams for a local customer. The customer even treated me to lunch at Skippers in Apex!

Also on Tuesday I completed the last bit of wiring to extend internet service to the shop! This was a fun project, involving 600’ of buried cable and Ethernet to DSL to Ethernet converters (I’m using DSL technology using my own converters over the buried cable since ethernets’ limit is 100 meters). Old skills involving wiring were dredged up and utilized in the construction of my telco boards for shop and house. Boy, is it great to have internet access from the shop, as this represents another milestone in my quartersawn oak business.

IMG_03064.JPG

Wednesday, NCWW member Donn Ward stopped by to pick up some QSRO for a project that he’s building (sorry, no pix…, but THANKS DONN!), and this same day the revisions to the dust collection discharge system and dump truck were completed, and I’m glad that’s behind me! The modifications included the installation of a 3 hp blower to directly discharge into the dump truck (along with the 25 hp system). No more barrels of dust to dump – yee haw!

On Thursday NCWW President Doug Robinson stopped by to show me his collection of lathe tools and to walk me through how to make a pen on my new Delta 46-460 midi lathe. Uh-oh… this can be addicting. Last night orders went out to Penn State and Lee Valley for some project components. Here is "our" pen - Thanks Doug!

IMG_03231.JPG

Yesterday and today we started back on the “big” dust collection system, extending the final run to the 4 head moulder and the Mattison straight line rip saw. The 12” diameter portion of the run was cut, fit, and welded up on Thursday, and today we installed it and started working on the drops off of it. Tomorrow I plan to complete the last bit of welding for the ends of the drops as well as the connection to the Mattison. Here are some of the larger system parts laid out on the shop floor prior to cutting and welding:

IMG_03074.JPG

After that it’s time to jump over to the “small” system and start cutting, fitting and welding up about 180’ of metal tubing. Most of my fitting were salvaged from an old furniture manufacturing plant and I’ve been cutting them to fit, grinding off the galvanizing and then welding them into the system. This will involve several more days next week to complete. Here are some of the "piece parts", being guarded by Ricochet the "Shop Dog", and also 100' of new 6" tubing:

IMG_03102.JPG

IMG_03122.JPG

Today, NCWW member Jerry Craig from Greensboro brought out one of the church pew’s that were advertised on the Greensboro Craigslist (and posted on NCWW by a member). Apparently another church snapped up all of the pews save for the one that Jerry got. He was planning to cut it up for the wood, but when he heard that I was interested in it as a seating surface he kindly offered it to me and even brought it over. Needless to say, he left with several rift and quartersawn red oak boards to use on a future project at home! It was great to meet Jerry (what a neat guy - I think that we could have used the entire day to talk shop, flying, and a myriad of other topics, but unfortunately work intervened… I sure look forward to our next visit though.
Here's Jerry and I sitting on the pew:

IMG_03212.JPG

And here we are with Jerry's new QSRO stash.

IMG_03202.JPG

On Saturday NCWW member Tiffany is bringing some doors by to slip into the kiln for sterilization, and NCWW member Steve Wedge is driving down from Mebane to pick up some oak.

Also, NCWW members Lloyd P, Steve W, and Drew Moore have contacted me recently and are planning to stop by soon for some oak and machining.

All in all, life is good! Thanks all for the business support – it is greatly appreciated.

Scott

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Man you are hummin' right along there, Scott!!!:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

That is an awful lot of piping to hoist around, ain't it!:elvis: Sure looks like it will be sweet when you get it operational.

I can see that you have definitely been putting some hours in out there!

Thanks for updating us and look forward to my next QSRO run!

Wayne

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Great writeup Scott, I'm going to have to come out to the shop just before spring I think to see the whole dust collection system in action! I suggest a fancy warning system involving diamond-shaped yellow signs showing cats being sucked up into a pipe or something :)

Rob

New User
Rob
There's my puppy. You got a lot done in the last two weeks. BTW, I have a bowl turning DVD for you to borrow, courtesy of Nate. He said it will give him another excuse to come by for a visit.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Sounds like a great time had by all. Glad to see the shop progress.

One of the best things about NCWW is how members help members. Thanks for sharing.

kooshball

David
Corporate Member
Scott,

You said "The customer even treated me to lunch at Skippers in Apex!" - now that is a good customer!

I am kind of a snob when it comes to fried seafood and as a result there are only 3 places in the world that I eat fried seafood from (aside from experimenting with new places to find that elusive 4th) and Skippers is one of them. The other two are Spondivits in Atlanta and Seawitch in Peabody, MA.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Thanks for the update (w/ pics) Scott. Sounds like you're having WAY too much fun.

+1 on Jerry Craig: he visited my shop recently and we had a great time. Truly a "good guy". :icon_thum

But I'm still having a little trouble getting my head around one thing: a church pew in your shop. :rotflm:

Bill

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Great writeup Scott, I'm going to have to come out to the shop just before spring I think to see the whole dust collection system in action! I suggest a fancy warning system involving diamond-shaped yellow signs showing cats being sucked up into a pipe or something :)

Hmm... I may need to come up with some type of "cat warning" sign... it could be a bad experience if one wandered near one of the floor sweeps while the system was running...

It's a good thing that Jeff Mills adopted "Stripper", my former shop cat before I got the dust collection system operational. (y'all be sure to give Jeff a hard time about having a "male stripper" living in his home!)

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Scott,

You said "The customer even treated me to lunch at Skippers in Apex!" - now that is a good customer!

I am kind of a snob when it comes to fried seafood and as a result there are only 3 places in the world that I eat fried seafood from (aside from experimenting with new places to find that elusive 4th) and Skippers is one of them. The other two are Spondivits in Atlanta and Seawitch in Peabody, MA.

+1. Skippers is great - both in terms of the food as well as the personnel. Laureen and I really like stopping by on Tuesday and Saturday nights when they have 'steamer night' for some steamed shrimp. The NC Seafood Market at the Farmers Market in Raleigh is also pretty good.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Thanks for the update (w/ pics) Scott. Sounds like you're having WAY too much fun.

+1 on Jerry Craig: he visited my shop recently and we had a great time. Truly a "good guy". :icon_thum

But I'm still having a little trouble getting my head around one thing: a church pew in your shop. :rotflm:

Bill

<grin> Well, now I won't feel so guilty about being in the shop on Sunday mornings instead of in church! Thanks to Jerry I now have a little bit of church in the shop! :gar-Bi

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
There's my puppy. You got a lot done in the last two weeks. BTW, I have a bowl turning DVD for you to borrow, courtesy of Nate. He said it will give him another excuse to come by for a visit.

Works for me. You need to come up and give your "puppy" a bath - she rolled in something rather unpleasant smelling this morning and is temporarily banished from the shop.

I think that I'm going to use that walnut handle that I turned for a screwdriver handle instead of a lathe tool, and I'll make some larger handles for the lathe tools.

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
Wow, you're making excellent progress!!! But where on your list is cutting up those beautiful Oak Slabs? I'm definitely looking forward to my visit!!

Trav

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Wow, you're making excellent progress!!! But where on your list is cutting up those beautiful Oak Slabs? I'm definitely looking forward to my visit!!

Trav

David Keller and I were planning to do those this weekend, but the Lie Nelson event in Raleigh upstaged me (can you imagine that...)!

Right now we're closing in on a new date, soon to be posted.

JCraig

New User
Jerry

Bill[/QUOTE]

Bill, While I was there, Scott and I talked about a lot of different things. One of which was that my daughter just took the course and passed it for her "Concealed Carrier" permit. At that point, Scott shouted......"Yes!!! Another sinner has come home!" that must be why the church pew was placed in the shop. I think Scott must be a really religious guy. :gar-Bi

I really enjoyed visiting and seeing all the heavy duty machinery. I really appreciated the lumber, I have just the project for it. :wsmile:

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Oh boy....

Don Patterson stopped by today - right after I read Bas's comments about losing cat's in the dust collection system. Hmmm..... I wonder if that's a realistic possiblity???

Well, looks like the answer is "yes".

First, a disclaimer... no cats were harmed in the ascertation of this question. However one board was sacrificed.

Start with one hickory board, approximatly 14" wide and 18" long. Now this ain't exactly what I would call a "light" piece of wood.

Next, start moving it closer to the open port and.... HOLY COW - It sucked it right up out of my hands!

The board broke in two when I tried to pry it off of the open port. This was with three 6" ports wide open elsewhere on the system too. Guess that cat's are herby banished from the shop.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith

Bill

Bill, While I was there, Scott and I talked about a lot of different things. One of which was that my daughter just took the course and passed it for her "Concealed Carrier" permit. At that point, Scott shouted......"Yes!!! Another sinner has come home!" that must be why the church pew was placed in the shop. I think Scott must be a really religious guy. :gar-Bi

I really enjoyed visiting and seeing all the heavy duty machinery. I really appreciated the lumber, I have just the project for it. :wsmile:[/QUOTE]

Now Jerry, I thought that a Concealed "Carrier" is what you get when you plant some bushes in front of your air conditioner...

Nate Davey

New User
Nate
David Keller and I were planning to do those this weekend, but the Lie Nelson event in Raleigh upstaged me (can you imagine that...)!

Right now we're closing in on a new date, soon to be posted.

Let me know if you need a hand clearing out the oak. I have a truck and storage :gar-Bi. Really enjoyed my visit up there the other weekend.

Nate

Tiffany

New User
Tiffany
Thanks for having me out today! It was really great to meet you and see your operation, and of course I am super excited to get those doors sterilized. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS