Shop Time Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexSwansboro

New User
Alex
I am in need of some help planing and jointing about 20 bf of oak. I am in Swansboro and would like some help from someone around here. I understand that there may be a charge and I am prepared for that. If any of you know where I can find some help, please let me know.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
I could help on most any sunday. I only have a 6" joiner though. not a clue where swansboro is......:)

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
I could help on most any sunday. I only have a 6" joiner though. not a clue where swansboro is......:)

Fred, I had to look it up too. Swansboro is about as far as one could possibly be from my location in Anderson, SC and still be in NC. It's the far East of NC, about halfway up/down along the NC coast.

[MAP]Swansboro, NC[/MAP]

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
thanks Ethan. i think it's safe to assume this wont be an option.......:rolleyes: looka like a few hours each way but the offer is out there if needed.

AlexSwansboro

New User
Alex
thanks Ethan. i think it's safe to assume this wont be an option.......:rolleyes: looka like a few hours each way but the offer is out there if needed.

Thank you both for the offer. I just need to convince my wife that I need a jointer and planer. Any advice on how to start that conversation would be a good help. I did run down to Anchor Hardwoods today and get some oak and they jointed and planed it for me.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
That's always an option. You can compare costs of rough wood plus your labor and the cost of the tools against the cost of ready to use hardwoods and see if your usage level will support the investment. Or you could just do it and make some pretty furniture for her.

bluedawg76

New User
Sam
better to ask forgiveness than for permission. :gar-Bi

i've got a similar philosophy:
Don't ask questions you don't want to know the answer to! Just do it.

FWIW, a planer is the more versatile of the 2. Either a planer sled or a couple of bench planes can get one face flat enough for a reference. I have a 6" jointer and rarely use it. imo, an 8" or bigger jointer is much more practical, but way too expensive for me to justify purchasing. hence my recommendation for a planer only (and of course it's an easier sell to the LOYL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS