Shop storage monthly contest - AlanJ is the winner

Best Shop Storage

• 1. Flip table - Jclrk

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2. Many small boxes - Steve (zapdafish)

• 3. Dutch tool chest/set of drawers combo - RichoB

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • 4. Two flip carts - Neal (bowman)

• 5. Repurposed cabinets - Joe (fishbucket)

• 6. MAX pallet storage - Gene (dee2)

• 7. Flip cart - NOTW

• 8. Wall tool chest - PhilS

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • 9. Wall tool chest - AlanJ

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • 10. tool well chest - Jim (creasman)

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • 11. Portability - Geoff (bigdog72)

• 12. Drawer stacks - Tim Sherwood

• 13. Rolling cabinet - FrankK

Votes: 2 10.5%

• Total voters

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
The three tool chests took the podium with AlanJ clearly at the top - Congrats, you did a great job. Some of AlanJ's photos will soon be at the top of our home page.

The holiday gift contest brought in many great entries. Congrats to Linc H for being chosen the best.

Next up is SHOP STORAGE

This is to inspire those of us that need a reminder that organized storage of tools really help. Storage solutions from the past decade or so are welcome.

Please post your storage photos

Last edited:

Jclrk

Jclrk
Corporate Member
Flip table with drawer underneath planer and joiner

Attachments

• 20201110_184438.jpg
    20201110_184438.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 202
  • Screenshot_20210113-003511_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210113-003511_Gallery.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 199
  • Screenshot_20201025-183629_Message+.jpg
    Screenshot_20201025-183629_Message+.jpg
    318.5 KB · Views: 164
  • 20201024_210301.jpg
    20201024_210301.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 166
  • 51108.jpeg
    51108.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 136

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Come on brother show what you engineers do my cuts were not even at all
No, everything is in a pile... I know chronologically where everything is but... it is still piles... :cool:

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
My storage consists of cabinets and boxes in 4 different rooms/buildings/trailers due to a very small shop area. It's a big PITA cause nothing is ever where I need it!

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
I'm working on a design for a non-flip dual-use table. In other words there is a rotating mechanism that carries two tools without having them flip upside down. I built a proof-of-concept cardboard model to ensure everything checks out. I bought all the hardware online. I'm just waiting for some nicer weather as my shop isn't heated yet.

It was inspired by this video, but this seems way too complicated. Skip to 6:11 to see how it works.

Last edited:

Jclrk

Jclrk
Corporate Member
I'm working on a design for a non-flip dual-use table. In other words there is a rotating mechanism that carries two tools without having them flip upside down. I built a proof-of-concept cardboard model to ensure everything checks out. I bought all the hardware online. I'm just waiting for some nicer weather as my shop isn't heated yet.

It was inspired by this video, but this seems way too complicated. Skip to 6:11 to see how it works.

This may help

Attachments

• 20201024_210443.jpg
    20201024_210443.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 98

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I think if andrew Klein was building a log cabin in kindergarten out of pop-sickle sticks it would be compelling!

Echd

C
User
The issue with that is the tables still flip. If you have an oscillating belt sander with all the attachments you know you can't turn it over without everything falling off of it.

While not a perfect replacement, I like the flip cart you can find on the Fisher's Shop youtube channel. He put his oscillating sander on his and just put the parts in a drawer underneath.

Richo B

New User
Richo
Nothing fancy here but I keep most of my tools in this Dutch Tool Chest/Set of Drawers/Rolling unit combination. Built initially in 2016 and other components added in 2017-2018.
Dutch chest open_01.jpg
Dutch chest top open
Altered top for Stanley 6_1.16.21.jpg
Recent reorganization in 2021 to house Stanley #6
IMG_20200229_114444183.jpg
Dutch chest rolling unit is part of a larger set I made including rolling tool cart, tool tote w/ side drawers and Specialty plane tool box to the right.
All Tools contained in the Dutch Chest_12.9.17.jpg
All tools contained in the Dutch Chest storage system. Except that large old saw in the middle. Not sure how that got in the photo. It was kept on the wall until I threw it away late last year.

Last edited:

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
While not a perfect replacement, I like the flip cart you can find on the Fisher's Shop youtube channel. He put his oscillating sander on his and just put the parts in a drawer underneath.
My concern is that machines are engineered to operate resting on their bases. Some machines require lubrication that would flow away from where it was designed to stay.

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
I've built 2 of these. One holds my grinder and lunchbox planer. The 2nd holds oscillating spindle sander and disc/belt sander. I can attest to the rings falling out.
20200927_092720.jpg

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
You want storage?

Unknown-6.jpeg

~32'L X 4'D (pallet depth) X 10'H. $500 delivered. One day to assemble. 1/2 day to anchor. ~1.5 hrs for my daughter to fill it up with household goods. She is 'borrowing it' during her transition from townhouse to neighbor (if she'll ever get the permits pulled, LOL). At least I regained some floor space!

Not pretty. But cheap and effective. If I ever get the racking space back, I'm gonna have great lumber storage.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS