Shop Smith Mark V Multi Tool - for sale $115

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Not mine, not endorsing etc. etc. etc.

Annually The Greenville Woodworker's Guild has an auction or sale.
This is an older version Shop Smith, but it looks pretty good!

I think they need this gone quickly because I have to get the things I bought by Wednesday 7/14...

I just thought it was a GREAT deal amd someone here might benifit!

1626104031916.png

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
That is a number 10 Experimental Revised (10ER). There's a bunch of folks who collect this vantage of machines and restore them. They are considered a collectors item.

Pop

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
I inherited one of those. It was my only woodworking machine when I was starting out. My mom bought it for my dad as a wedding present in 1948.
To this day I miss the disk sander and horizontal boring capacity. That one doesn't seem to have the sanding disk with it. $115.00 is a heck of a good buy.

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
I've had a 10-ER for years. It makes a fair lathe, a fair drill press, and a horizontal boring machine, if you replace the shaft brake dogs with some made from brass. It makes the scariest table saw that I've ever used, and I only tried doing that once. It does make a horizontal boring machine, but the table height adjustment of the table is a bit crude and doesn't hold position well. It's supposed to make a 1/2" shaft shaper, another scary feature that runs at too low a speed to work well, so I never tried it, but I have the shaper spindle adapter.

The replacement brass brake dogs were made for me by a machinist son who copied the best of the originals. Another source would be any machine shop, but they won't be cheap. Why they made these of cast aluminum is a long lost secret that didn't work well. Brass is grabby when pressed against steel, so it works much better. You really need these to be able to lock the head and carriage to the pipe rails. The original aluminum brakes just don't hold. It isn't even a good drill press or lathe if you can't keep the head and carriage from sliding on the pipe rails.

The 10-ER was built by Magnus tool and sold it from 1947 to 1950. In about 1950 the newly formed Shop Smith Co. bought all of the rights to it and then completely redesigned it into the Shop Smiths of today. Nothing, except purchased parts not made by Magnus, like the power switch, motor, belt, and pulleys are still available for it, unless sourced from the local machine shop.

If you like to tinker with old tools and willing to live with it's lack of spare parts and shortcomings, it's probably worth $50. They sold new for $150 in 1948-1949.

Somewhere I have the manual and parts list, but it's a photocopy. I even have a woodworking book that was offered for it and this book is an original that came with my 10-ER.

Charley

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
GUYS ! GUYS ! It is what it is. In 1948 it was the answer to prayer. It came at the beginning of the rise of the do-it-yourself idea.

Pop

Reactions: drw

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
**Sigh*** Living in Hawaii does have this downside........ missing out on some awesome deals. But then we have the weather...... ;)

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS