Shop Progress Pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Things are comin' along very nicely, Doug!:eusa_danc :eusa_danc :eusa_danc

Looks like you are on the "last legs" of major construction! Almost time to get in there, hide, and start crankin' out some nice projects. (Although, as they say "a shop is really never completely done"!:roll: )

Thanks for sharing all of the great progress.

Wayne

MikeL

Michael
Corporate Member
Doug, that shop is looking great! :eusa_clap I am in the middle of a conversion myself. Love the parts bins. Where did you find that size. Just got back from HD and they only had a really large blue version. Those yellow ones are exactly what I was looking for.

Michael

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
Michael:

The parts bins were on special a while ago at Lowes. They came in groups of 8. The cabinet holds 56 bins.

Here are pics of the wall now that it is sheeted and mudded. It will be sanded on Monday. I will probably try to hang the door tonight or tomorrow. I am working on the 88" wall bench right now. Just cutting the basic pices to size. I need four more leveler blocks.

Attachments

• P1010044.jpg
    P1010044.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 189
  • P1010045.jpg
    P1010045.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 196

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Now that was fast!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(It woulld take me at least a month!)

Soon be ready for my favourite task. PAINTING!:-x :-x :-x :-x

justicefan23 .... Love the parts bins. Where did you find that size. Just got back from HD and they only had a really large blue version. Those yellow ones are exactly what I was looking for.

Michael

Michael,

They have a pretty good selection of that time of bin at Northern Tools in Cary, as well.

Thanks for the update, Doug!

Wayne

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Doug has been busy! Love the parts bins. You are really moving along. Electrical, sheetrock, cabinets, you have come a long ways. I'm going to have to check that bin cabinet out. I may end up making one for myself before it is over with.

PS - Didn't realize you were going to insulate the wall, but that is a very smart move.

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
OK. The wall is painted and done. I will mount the lumber rack tonight. I also hung the door to the shop and I am building the wall bench. The top is not on yet. I have to build the drawers, attached the doors, build and install the pull-out trays,etc... Almost there!!

Attachments

• P1010046.jpg
    P1010046.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 194
  • P1010047.jpg
    P1010047.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 196
  • P1010048.jpg
    P1010048.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 185
  • P1010049.jpg
    P1010049.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 210

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
That there bench is awesome lookin' Doug!!!:eusa_danc :eusa_danc :eusa_danc

You will have to give us all a panoramic view of shots when everything is in its place.

The progress you are making certainly is an inspiration to a bunch of us I am sure!

Great work (and with such speed!).

Wayne

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
Thanks for the comments. I am back from Germany and working on finishing the bench. I will take a full tour of the shop when I am done. (Although, will I ever really be done?)

Here are the latest of the bench. I just added the sliding shelves. The mortiser does not fit standing upright:cry: But I knew it wouldn't. There is room to add a second teir of sliding shelves to each side. I have cut out the bases and just need to rap them. I have hardware from the rockler closing sale on hand.

That is the extra shelves on top.

I put in the kickj plate and cut the top AC plywood to size. None of that is attached yet. I need to finish the drawers first. I will be adding hardboard to the top and edging the top in pine. There will be a mortiser/grinder cutout on top to support each when in use. I will also be adding a vice to the left side.

Doug
See some of you later today at HF:icon_thum

Attachments

• P1010050.jpg
    P1010050.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 189
  • P1010051.jpg
    P1010051.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 189
  • P1010052.jpg
    P1010052.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 184

dancam

Dan
Corporate Member
Outstanding job on your garage shop. All that's misssing is the recliner and TV (and of course the small refrig w/refreshments).

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
Latest Update

Well the side bench is almost done. I put the hardboard on the top, attached the edging, attached the quick release vise, and added the drawer fronts. Oh and I threw a lot of stuff inside. I'll have to organize ir later.

I added cleats inside the cabinets to support the hardware for two more pull out trays. I know my shop is small, so I figured I had better maximize my storage space.

I hope to build and install the slide out trays on Wed. evening.

Attached are some of tonight's pics.

Doug​

Attachments

• P1010053.jpg
    P1010053.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 190
  • P1010054.jpg
    P1010054.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 191
  • P1010055.jpg
    P1010055.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 185
  • P1010056.jpg
    P1010056.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 188
  • P1010057.jpg
    P1010057.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 184
  • P1010058.jpg
    P1010058.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 187
  • P1010059.jpg
    P1010059.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 199
  • P1010060.jpg
    P1010060.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 195
T

toolferone

Re: Latest Update

You are doing a great job of maxamizing your space, and looking great too!

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
Thask for the comments. I wil;l add the 2nd pull out trays tonight. I think I screwed uop though.

The hardboard is not attached (as intended). However, I designed the 2x4 frame to support the mortiser. I forgot to cut out the plywood top before attaching it. I hope I can unscrew it and make the cuts. I am going to make two mataching cut outs out of scrap and attach one the the mortiser and one to the grinder. The orignal will sit in the opening when neither is in use. I will try to take pics as I goof this.

Travis, I will either be making the flag case or more likely 6 Adirondeck chairs for LOML. I also have a built in desk for her to design and build. After that there is an old wrought-iron and wood bench in our back yard and I want to replace all the wood and paint the metal. In the spring/summer I am going to build LOML and myself a new bed, a night table for my son, and LOML told me last nigth she would like a new headboard for the guest room (and a night table too).

Fianlly, I have wanted to build a Lutyens bench for a long time so that will hopefully begin this summer.

My wife may have a lot of projects, but she does not give me a hard time about my tools.:eusa_danc

Doug

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
Boy is my typing lousy or what?

Anyway, as amazing as it seems, I will probably finish my bench tonight.:eusa_danc I cut out a portion of the top last night and made two dupilicates. I drilled holes in each, one to support the mortiser, and one to support the grinder. I just bought some bolts the AM to attach the tools. The only other thing left is to add a little projecting piece on the back bottom edge of each support so the tools wont tilt forward during use (the mortiser mostly).

I also finished making and installing the upper slide-out trays. Since I had extra edging I made a small wall shelf for the radio/iPod player and the battery chargers. The other shelves were too high.

I will take pics tonight.

I am also thinking of using up some of my scrap lumber to build a table saw accessory holder, as I hate having to walk accross the shop (even though it is small) every time I need to change blades, adjust the blade height or change throat plates.

If you have ideas I'm open to them.

Doug

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors