Shop Made Router Lift

Status
Not open for further replies.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Today, I got serious about building the lift from American Woodworker-March 2004. They list a couple of suppliers, but I have found a local supplier for 3/4" polished rods. Their reccomended supplier is in Nashville TN, so the freight is almost the same as costs of rods, but they will cut them in half at no charge. The local ones are 35" long instead of 3'- you lose 1/2", no big deal. For the bushings, MSC has them for $1.60 each, while local supplier is $4.60 each. Each lift needs 4 bushings. MSC has a minimum order of $25.00. The first of next week, I will be placing an order (I need some other things). If you think you might be needing some of these bushings, let me know and I will try to order extras.

chris99z71

New User
Chris
Hi Bruce, I'm a little late with this, but Welcome to the forums!
I have a couple of questions...
First, what's the supplier that AW suggested for the polished rods?
Second, is this what you're building?
router_table_and_lift_3.jpg

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Yes that is what I want to build. Is that one yours, and if so may I come over and take a gander. ( I could probaly bring a set of alignment jigs and a couple of ZC inserts that will fit a Uni, if you know someone who has use for such items.) The rods that AWW recommended came from Metals Supermarket. Their closest branch is in Nashville TN. Johnstone Supply stocks a 3/4"X35" shaft in their Raleigh store, and possibly in Garner store also. There are two modifications that I want to make 1-Move mounting to front of table, and reverse dust port and motor position. Then I wouldn't have to reach across fence to change height. 2 - make a height adj. handle that is similar to ones on Jessum lift, the kind that uses an allen wrench made into a handle. I also want to add vacumm in base of unit, similar to John White's router table in first Tools Issue of FWW.

chris99z71

New User
Chris
Sorry, just a picture I found on the internet. I think that your improvements are both good ones-I may steal them as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors