Shop Made Horizontal Mortise/Tenon Fixture

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken
A quick and easy to build fixture from Classic Joints With Power Tools by Yeung Chan, ISBN 1-57990-279-0.
I started modifying the router mounting board to attach it to the fixture body with threaded rod for height adjustments, but found that Yeungs method of clamping it in the vice works just fine. Raising or lowering one end is easier than trying to raise the whole 'fence'.
This is just a sandwich of ply with dovetailed runners, allowing X and Y slide adjustments. Adjusting the fence provides the Z. The angles are 20 degree. I made pivoting handles to control the feed of the X and Y sliders, but again found that moving them by hand, as Yeung suggest, worked best. Stop blocks can be clamped to the fence to control width of the mortise. I have to get another clamp to hold the stock,, one isn't making it!
The half inch by 3 inch thru mortise in the pic below in 1 1/2" stock was done in about 3 minutes. (feeding at about 1/8" increments)Rounding the tenon sides to match the mortise took longer, tho![:(!]
EPSN0006.jpg

EPSN0008.jpg

EPSN0009.jpg

EPSN0015.jpg

Ken

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Ken, that is a really neat set up.:icon_thum I like it. Do you just leave your bit maxed out for the height and control the depth of cut by manually sliding the stock toward the bit 1/8" at a time?

D L

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
That looks like a good opportunity for DaveO's flying bit trick! Ouch.

Nice M&T though....

Monty

New User
Monty
I've seen several different designs similar to what you're doing, and your is definitely the simplest! How hard is it to setup/tweak? Also, I thought having a setup like this is really intended to be used with loose tenons (which can be made on the router table), instead of trying to round over the tenons of your workpiece. Anyway, great job!

Ts Wood Butcher

New User
Tony Sizemore
Man that looks great. I want to know how you the router to float in mid air like that? :-D Just playing It REALLY LOOKS GOOD, and it looks like it works well. Thats what really counts. As my Old Man would "it aint a fashion show boy it a job. Now get your %^&#$% to work!" usually followed by a large right hand.
Great job again.
Tony

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Ken,
Thanks for sharing this!
I'm stopping by MLCS Wednesday (I'm in Philadelphia on business) to check out their Horizontal Router Table. It's going to have to be mighty nice @ ~$200 when I can duplicate yours for a little time and leftover (not scrap:-D ) plywood.

Mark (btw...formerly from Six Mile, SC)

cpowell

Chuck
Senior User
That is a neat little setup, Ken.

I want to try the concept out at some point. How long did it take for you to get up and running on this technique?

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken
Glad you like it, but it's completely from the book. I really tried to modify it but everything I tried took away from its simplicity.

For thru mortises I set the bit all the way out, for normal, stopped mortises, I set the bit to the desired depth and progressively move the top platform in till it meets the fence.

I'm a big fan of loose tenons, but since LOML knows I just picked up a tenon jig at Woodcraft, I'll have to do integral ones while she is looking.:eusa_whis
Rounding the corners is quick on stopped mortises, but have to be just right for thru ones.

Well, once I understood what it was supposed to look like and how it works, it didn't take but a couple of hours for the platform and another or so for the fence. This book is full of useful and easy to make jigs and fixtures, but there are no detail drawings or detailed instructions. A sketch and a picture and you're on your own.

Mark, I've been looking at the MLCS table for a year or so, and just can't see spending $200 for it, much less the 3 grand or so for the Multi-Router. Now, I'd love to WIN a Multi-Router! Good to be away from Six Mile, the surburb of Liberty!??:lol:

Take care,
ken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS