Shop Ideas

kclark

New User
Kevin
For those of you that have a garage that doubles as your shop, I'm looking for storage ideas. Please post photos of your walls or storage areas. I'd be grateful.

Brian Patterson

New User
Bstrom
My storage technique is hardly worth imitating - the key to good organization is remembering where you put something. I’ve consolidated my router bits but everything else is too big to conveniently store anywhere other than where it will fit.
Most of my main tools are on caster stands and I use a shelf underneath to keep some stuff but it isn’t that convenient. I need to be able to ‘see’ what I’m looking for.

ste6168

New User
Mike
I have my shop in the garage, but it doesn't double as a parking space. I am still getting my shop organized, but I try to keep all of the specific types of stuff together, and near where they will be used. Hand tools under or above the bench, clamps all together, sanders in one spot (happen to be under the bandsaw), routers all together, along with accessories and bits, near the router table, etc. Not everything in my shop is perfect, but I try to make it enjoyable to work in, and keep it clean, neat, and organized as best I can.

Edited to add a few pictures, hope to have it better setup by the end of summer.
IMG_0337.jpg
IMG_0935.jpg
IMG_3195.jpeg
IMG_3395.jpeg

Last edited:

NOTW

Notw
Senior User
My 2-car garage doubles as my shop and it does on occasion have a car in it....gasp. Every now and then I bring a car in to change the oil, clean the interior, etc. So one key thing for me is having everything on wheels so when i need to i can roll everything to the sides and open up the middle space to put a car.

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
My storage "system" has been utter chaos. Lumber just gets stacked wherever I can find room for it. Cutoffs go in a 40-gallon trash barrel that was initially purchased to be part of a 2-stage dust system but I never got around to it.

This summer I'm finally determined to get my storage act together. I bought two sets of these Grizzly lumber storage racks. There are other brands like Triton and Portamate that look identical.

1593700876321.png

I'll put my long pieces on those.

I also have stairs and I plan to make some storage cubbies under there to put my cutoffs and other stuff I don't use often. I used to store my old 6" jointer under there, but my new jointer is too big.

1593702213419.png

On one wall I'm building a French cleat system for all my drills, sanders, palm router, clamps and other stuff you need to have handy all the time.

1593702781476.png

Right now I'm building an outfeed table that is essentially just a 42x24x35 kitchen-style base cabinet with doors and drawers. For the top I have 3/4" ply with oak flooring on top of that. I drilled some dog holes in that to use as a mini workbench. It looks kind of like this except bigger.

1593703460982.png

I'll post pics of it when I'm finished.

Fishbucket

Joe
Senior User
Glad I'm not the only one with fishing rigs on the ceiling... Though, mine haven't moved in a long while. :confused:

All cabinets supplied from Phil S. "Come and Get" specials.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

These cabinets are far enough forward that when I open the garage door from the outside, I have access to my plywood stores.
Just got those sheets on the trolley today and was already to hot to open the door and let the AC cooling out.

image.jpeg

The back side there at this door holds the mower and some yard chems. And Gas cans. The dust collector is tucked back there in the corner. Easy to get the chips with the big door open right there.

image.jpeg

Junk pile and two cabinets holding stuff behind the work bench. There's an isle way to get to the fridge, freezer mechanic tools and mower.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

That's an extension table and leg on the back of the bandsaw. I sunk magnets into the frame and it holds it in plac there.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Last edited:

NOTW

Notw
Senior User
Here are some of my options, all things on casters for when I change my mind and decide to lay things out differently. Tall cabinet for storing tools and misc items, spray paint/finish storage rack, small parts bins for storing nuts, bolts, screws, etc. flip top cart for my planer and sander.

IMG_3833.jpg

Saw blade storage on wall with dado stack and dowels to hold extra inserts.

IMG_3834.jpg

Cart with my dust collector, Thein seperator, dust bin, used the space on the back for clap storage, have long clamps on a wall rack

IMG_3835.jpg

Work bench with a lot of commonly used tool on the wall, this is a never ending project of making tool holders, next i have to decide if i want to build a cabinet or get a larger piece of plywood for the back

IMG_3836.jpg

Hope this helps give you some ideas, also under the work bench is another cabinet with 6 drawers, 4 medium size and 2 large.

Accidentally posted this earlier in the wrong forum earlier.

toolman

Administrator
Chad
Oak? How primitive!
This is Mahogany.
Well! I'm sorry!!! I did not know you special ordered your box. I know Gerstner and Son's toolbox's come in Cherry, Walnut, and Oak. I guest Gerstner is a primitive company for making Oak Toolbox's!!!

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Well! I'm sorry!!! I did not know you special ordered your box. I know Gerstner and Son's toolbox's come in Cherry, Walnut, and Oak. I guest Gerstner is a primitive company for making Oak Toolbox's!!!
No, not special ordered. I found it at an antique mall. I thought it was walnut at first. Had to clean it a little. Most of them are quarter sawn white oak, very few of the others. The newest ones are mostly made in China and have mixed oak.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I'll take a few pictures later today but wanted to say I love the idea of fishing rods on the ceiling. I won't do that in my shop but will probably do it in my car garage. I have very little space above the garage doors but I think the rods will fit. My rods are in my great room, some of them, which is probably possible only because I'm single.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS