Shop Fox jointer -- Caution: GLOAT in progress!

Status
Not open for further replies.

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Nice video of the change you had left over after your purchase. That shop vac noise in the background is a little distracting though.:lol:

Nice job Monty. The new jointer looks great.:icon_thum

D L

chris99z71

New User
Chris
toolferone said:
Where else but in America would someone make a video clip of a jointer running, post it on a fourm and have all of us clamoring to see it. I LOVE this place!!!!

Hey, that's why LOML refers to this as my "dork website". Well, if that's the case - bring out the pocket protectors! :rolf:

woodguy1975

New User
John
I knew you'd get it running this weekend. Probably had it fired up on Friday. LOL

Why two posts though. :saw:

Last edited:

DavidF

New User
David
Monty said:
Yea, you can hear it running when you click on that pic! This is the only machine in my shop that actually passes the nickle test! :mrgreen:

What was the "clang" at the end of the video?

Monty

New User
Monty
That "clang" was the sound of the belt slapping on the belt guard as the motor spins down. Tightening up the belt some more took care of it. The instructions say to avoid overtightening the belt, but IMHO you have to tighten it more than they describe.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Re: Shop Fox jointer -- Caution: Another GLOAT in progress!

Picked up my Shop Fox jointer this afternoon from Klingspor in Charlotte and got the box with the base inside the shop right before a huge downpour. It is the same special edition model number as Monty's...:icon_scra. No signs of serious trauma to the packaging. The badge is straight and only a small place on the black skirt showing a scuff in the paint. Everything went together smoothly preparing the base. The swivel seems ok on the foot pedal. I needed to lower the feet to make a more positive contact with the floor to keep it steady with the roller defeated. It should be ok with the weight of the bed on it but it seemed like it wanted to scoot around a little if I pushed on it hard. Mounting the motor required a little muscle power but is in close proximity to the correct location. The jointer bed is still in the back of the truck inside its crate under the bed cover and will tackle unpacking, unloading, mounting and de-Cosmolining that in the morning. The base is a little shorter than the tailgate of the truck so we should be able to slide it under the tail gate and slide the bed right on to the base and not have to put a lot of stress on it or our backs:eusa_pray .
Mark

Monty

New User
Monty
Re: Shop Fox jointer -- Caution: Another GLOAT in progress!

Awesome! Keep us posted on your progress.

vbgregg

New User
Gregg
I also picked up mine yesterday in Raleigh. I had some friends help me get the boxes in the basement (it's a walk-in basement!). Though I wish I could set it up soon, I probably won't have a chance for at least a week. I did sneak a peak at the front of the base and I believe I saw all of the numbers, so I guess I did not get the same special edition that Monty and Mark got! :)

The box containing the bed did not show any obvious signs of damage. The other box had some crumpled corners and edges, but I could not see that anything was damaged when I opened the top. As I said earlier, however, unfortunately I will not have time to actually take it out of the box for another week or two. Looks good so far, though...

Gregg

Turtlewood

New User
Kevin
I still haven't stopped by to pick mine up from the Raleigh store. Maybe I can make it there tomorrow.

So Greg, did Paul have anything to say about them once they came in? Given that he was concerned to the level of quality of a jointer at this price.

vbgregg

New User
Gregg
Turtlewood said:
So Greg, did Paul have anything to say about them once they came in? Given that he was concerned to the level of quality of a jointer at this price.
Well, none of the boxes were open, and I did not ask to open my 2 boxes, so there was not much to comment on (regarding quality). He did say that they came in much sooner than he expected. I guess we both agreed that the boxes were in good condition.

He did show that he has a sense of humor, which isn't always obvious. He said one person called a week after they were ordered to try to get in on the deal, but that it was too late. Then he said someone else called and wanted to order a 12" Shop Fox jointer. I asked him how much those were and he said $750. After realizing that he had made a joke, I asked again and he said about $1800. Apparently he did order that one!

Let us know when you get yours home and set up.

Gregg

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
Picked up mine Friday morning and after making a couple of stops, got back to the shop and had it up and running around 4:00 or there abouts. The only damage albeit ever so slight (the pin stripping on the front got a little wrinkled). The bed looks really nice, haven't had a chance to check it for flatness though. I ran a couple of pine 4x4 through it just to see how the surface came out and I must say I am thoroughly pleased with the surface finish. Course the blades are new and all but none the less, a very nice smooth finish. Now I can get on with my bench. After using my little Craftsman 6" all these years, I am blown away by the shear size of this thing. It is one big jointer. The assembly went fairly easy, we used a metal table my band saw came on and positioned it in front of the base and using a piece of metal conduit, we just slid it off the trailer bed right into place without even having to grunt. My BIL helped me and now that I think about it, I bet I could have handled it on my own using our methodology. He couldn't get over how big it is either. Haven't taken any pics yet but will take some next week so I can prove it actually happened.:lol: :lol: :lol: When I picked up mine there was one left, don't know who's it was though. Has anyone found a source for a set of four blades yet? Haven't called Shop fox yet but may next week. Gotta have a spare set. Once I start face jointing the pine, I'm sure the blades will start to loose their edge and would like to have a spare set just in case I find a hidden jewel in one of them. :-( Monty, did you find out where Steve D got his blades?

Mike

Monty

New User
Monty
Excellent! I can tell you're kind of happy with your new toy! :eusa_danc I just sent Steve a PM (I think I forgot to do that before) - I'll let you know what he says. Shop Fox would be an obvious source. If you nick your blades, though, just use the old blade-shift trick instead of changing all the knives. That'll keep you going for a while!

cpowell

Chuck
Senior User
I am really worried about you guys. I go out of country for a few weeks and when I check back in here, there is overwhelming evidence of a WG disease epidemic!! :lol: :lol:

That looks like a nice machine to me. Guess I'll have to wander down and personally check out Mshels' new baby!

Chuck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS