Shop fox 26in drum sander

Status
Not open for further replies.

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
Hey everyone I will be coming in the market for a drum sander and I am looking at the shop fox 26in drum sander for my options. It has dual drums, all the bells and whistles. Anyone have any experiance with this sander? Any testimonials on what you have that works well. I look forward to the great advice. Have a blessed day.
michael

Ryan

New User
Ryan Sellers
I don't have any experience with the sander you speak of, but generally I have heard good things about Shop Fox. It seems like most of their equipment is similar to Grizzly machines, just a little more expensive. Have you looked into what Grizz has to offer? They have a large selection as far drum sanders go, and you may be able to get a better price.

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Michael, I am in the market for a drum sander myself but haven't looked at the Shop Fox line yet. I will have to check out their line to see what they have to offer.

D L

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
I have been looking at grizzly as well, they have a 24in but only will sand 23.5 in wide. if you go on Ebay you can order the shop fox that will due a true 26in wide panels with the same variable speed as the grizzly and is about the same price, with a couple inches more capability. I just want to make sure Im getting a good peice of machinery, Im to poor to purchae cheap tools. Have a blessed day.

Michael

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Can't comment on the Shop Fox, as I have a Performax 22-44 Pro. My suggestions are if it has optional outfeed and infeed rollers, buy them. You need the additional support on the infeed and outfeed to stop snipe at both ends. You want a variable speed feeder (I think they are pretty common). Evaluate how easy or hard it will be to change the paper. It may or may not make a difference. Look at the dust collection hook ups. I think that mine is a bit inferior. My sander has one side open and I don't like that now. Too easy to bump and make it dig so I agree with getting one with closed sides. Limits your sanding width, but it is workable.

Good luck on getting it, and send pics when you do!!

Ryan

New User
Ryan Sellers
After I read over your post again, I realized I probably steered you in the wrong direction, considering you aren't looking at an open-end sander. We have a Grizz 24" dual drum, closed-end sander in the school shop. I personally don't like it. There is a serious design flaw with how the paper is held on the drums, we average maybe 10-20 passes of a board before the paper flies off, and it gets beat against the top cover which ruins it. Also, the general fit and finish isn't where it should be for a machine that large. I haven't heard much about the new Grizz open end sanders. Has anyone had any experience with these?

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
Ryan,
Does that sander have hook and loop sandpaper? AKA Velcro on it? The shop fox comes with hook and loop on the drums. How much more is this cost compared to not haveing hook and loop? anyone have a closed drum sander under 1500.00 that hase served them well?
thanks for your help.
Michael

Last edited:

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
michaelgarner said:
Ryan,
Does that sander have hook and loop sandpaper? AKA Velcro on it? The shop fox comes with hook and loop on the drums. Michael

Michael, I was reading a wide drum sander review last night in the Apr 02 issue of American Woodworker. One of the potential short falls they mentioned on drums using hook and loop paper is that the drum is soft and has a tendency to round over the edges of panels. Just something you might want to consider.

D L

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
D L,
thanks that may sway me towards something else. I am also looking at the General 24in. I know General is always quality equipment. Thanks for everyones help.
Michael

Ryan

New User
Ryan Sellers
michaelgarner said:
Ryan,
Does that sander have hook and loop sandpaper? AKA Velcro on it? The shop fox comes with hook and loop on the drums. Michael

Actually it has a smooth machined aluminum leading drum, then the second (last) drum is rubber coated. The sandpaper is wrapped around the drums, and it is secured at the starting end with tape, and a slide-on clip at the end you finish at. The problem is the tape sticks out into the "24 inch" capacity of the machine, so if you run a full-width board you burn the tape off. Another problem we have had is the fact that the paper slides out from under the clips, and gets ruined when it is beat against the top cover.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS