Shop expansion started

Status
Not open for further replies.

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
The place looks great, Bill! All that floor space looks like the perfect place for a dance hall.:gar-La;
When is the first sock-hop?:icon_cheers

By the way, you can rent large floor fans to help with ventilation. Don't take any chances with those vapors.

Good luck and be careful,

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
It's looking good Bill. Shellac would be good or you might want to look at water based clear finishes.

bobby g

+1 on Bob's suggestion of a water based clear finish. Even shellac will darken a little over time, whereas the water based poly won't.

I love the knotty pine paneling. Really gives it character, and definitely more interesting than my plain old plywood. :icon_thum

Bill

bwat

New User
Bill
Any advantages or disadvantages of water based polycrylic vs Deft clear lacquer? Both have fast drying times to resist runs (big advantage here)?

bwat

New User
Bill
Not sure of the exact cost difference but further reading leads me to believe the lacquer and most any other finish will darken more than the water based polycrylic.

Has anyone here ever sprayed the polycrylic or is the foam brush the preferred application method for walls?

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
I've sprayed Polycrylic, but only on flat surfaces, and frankly, I wasn't impressed w/ the results. I'm sure it can be done by someone who knows more about what their doing than I do. My biggest concern would be putting it on too thick and getting runs on a vertical surface.

Bill

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Has anyone here ever sprayed the polycrylic or is the foam brush the preferred application method for walls?
Polycrylic sprays well. I use it a lot on shop furniture. It's relatively cheap, easy to apply and does not yellow over time. I would brush it though, using a regular paint brush (not foam). Just don't over brush, apply, spread and move on. Once you get the hang of it you can cover a LOT of area quickly. Another thought is to use a roller to quickly apply the polycrylic, then go over it with a regular brush to pop the bubbles. I did this once with a large (horizontal) panel, I thought a roller would be a good idea until I saw the air bubbles. I quickly switched to a brush and that saved the day. So not exactly a tried-and-true method.

I think polycrylic is a better choice than shellac or lacquer, since those are hard film finishes. You'd want something that can stand up to boards smacking into the wall, chisels thrown in frustration etc. The only downside to polycrylic is that you have to sand in between coats, not just for adherence but also to deal with the raised grain. I think you can get away with two coats. On pine, the first coat will be dry to the touch within 5 minutes. The second coat might take 15.

The only other finish to consider would be a wiping varnish. It's easy to apply (wipe on - wipe off), no sanding, and most importantly, it's easy to repair. But it will yellow the wood considerably. I think opting for a non-yellowing finish is the better plan.

bwat

New User
Bill
My thoughts exactly. The milled surface of the walls is very smooth so runs will be an issue. The relatively fast dry time of Polycrylic should help so I guess I'm delegated to using a foam brush and hope I can get coverage in all the grooves without too much running. Another reason to dislike finishing! :confused_

bwat

New User
Bill
Weekend update...I'm SLOW! Despite hours in the shop both Sat & Sun the progress seems miniscule. I finished the rear wall that was covered with plywood and is to be painted white. I found myself measuring repeatedly so as not to destroy sheets of ply by missing outlet locations - and no building I've ever seen is totally square.
IMAG0600.jpg

View image in gallery
I also finished the wall to the right of a door that has multiple outlets and a window to work around- again-I know I'm slow but I have not mis-cut anything yet.
Another similar window on the front left under the loft, another 8' wall in the adjoining room, doors and then on to trim and finish. Slowly getting there.

bobby g

Bob
Corporate Member
Nice work Bill. That kind of precision work dictates the speed IMHO.
Looks great!

bobby g

bwat

New User
Bill
Did I mention how slow the progress has been lately!!! I need a few days off work to make some headway - maybe I can duck away during the holiday - or even better recruit some family assistance? Unlikely.

Anyway, entire shop now ready for finish electrical. Got a few coats of paint on one wall and now ready for cabinets. I HATE to paint! While shaking a full gallon of paint it slipped from my hands and burst open on a concrete floor in the older part of the building. I now have a nice freshly painted white circle in front of my tablesaw!:kamahlituLost about a quart between the floor, jeans and I now have a cool pair of white splattered New Balance shoes. Thought I had it under control and walked into the house - not! White waffle patterned shoe imprints throughout! Did I mention how much I hate to paint!

For ceiling covering (see exposed insulation in next pic) I got thin sheets of bright white hardboard - no more painting!
Also trimed the joint between the 2 buildings. I will add a shelf above.

So much to do - so little time...

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Hang in there, Bill. It took me just over three years from the time I started my shop until I was able to move tools in. And I could be misreading what you're trying to say, but I'm getting the impression that painting isn't your favorite DIY activity? :dontknow: :rotflm:

Bill

dupont6480

New User
Tim
Bill,
Looking great and hey! you now have a new pair of go to church sunday shoes.
Congrats on your raffle win!
I actually got my DC and TS set up this weekend and turned the new saw on for the first time to make a mobile stand for my drill press. Great saw and no dust with the DC! Loving it and yours will be there soon. Take care
Tim

bwat

New User
Bill
Spent most of my holiday with friends and family but did get most of the base and top trim completed. Moved cabinets in but only attached wall units. Building a sliding door insert to cover the

center over the counter top. That too needs a bit of modification to square and extend the front edge. I really need a week off so I can knock this out and move in!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors