Shop expansion started

Status
Not open for further replies.

bwat

New User
Bill
Time has not allowed a lot of work on the shop lately but some progress has been made. Most of the wiring has been completed thanks to the after work assistance of a good friend. Outlets are abundant and on every other stud. Lights and ceiling fan are hung and operational. HVAC unit will hopefully get in this weekend and I'll begin insulating walls. The metal roof was sprayed with foam insulation - what a NASTY job that was! Sprayed a coat of white paint over the foam to brighten the ceiling but still unsure about further insulation, time will determine if it is necessary. More pics after the weekend.

bwat

New User
Bill
Took a few pics last night to update. The spray foam was a mess and not as thick as I expected. Bottom of ceiling lights are 10' to the floor. There will be 22 4' bulbs in the 460 sq ft addition plus task lighting - should be plenty:gar-Bi.
IMAG0433.jpg

View image in gallery

I hope to get most of the walls insulated this weekend.

The mess is starting to get to me. I keep needing tools that are a struggle to locate during the transition!

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Thanks for the pics Bill. Don't let the mess get to you. Pretty soon you'll be up and running, and all this will be ancient history. :icon_thum

Bill

bwat

New User
Bill
It has been a while since the last update but I'm beginning to see signs of improvement. The "in-the-wall" electrical is complete (thanks to SS!!) to the point of being able to complete the insulation. I'm less that half done but I should complete this weekend. The AC/heat unit is in and

operational as are the lights and ceiling fan so work time is much more comfortable. I closed one gable end with 4x8 sheets of white beadboard and it really reflect

s a lot of light. Forgot that pic. Found a deal I couldn’t pass up on some cabinets despite preferring to wait until I had the room – too heavy to move to the loft.

Next will be the floors. I need to level the gap between the existing floor and the addition which varies from 3/4 inch in the picture down to level 12 feet away.

Planning to glue plywood to build up the worst 4x8 section and then add a leveling compound to get the subfloor "close" before adding the final top flooring. It doesn't have to be perfect but I do not want to have gaps that will affect the flooring. Any better suggestions out there? Yes, I've used a few cans of "great stuff" to fill all the voids in the floor and in the walls prior to insulating the original structure.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Looks like you're getting it closed in and heated just in time for winter Bill. Keep posting the pics. It's looking great. :eusa_clap

Bill

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
No suggestions on the flooring (which will probably work, as long as the leveling compound isn't used to bridge large gaps bigger than 1/8"), but wanted to say the shop is coming along nicely! Looks like structurally it'll be finished in at most a couple of months. All the details will only take a couple of decades. :)

bwat

New User
Bill
I've been slack on posting updates but will hopefully add pics after the weekend. Now laying the floor and then walls. Move-in day is in sight!:icon_thum

bwat

New User
Bill
Finally got the floor leveled between the new and old building and put the floor down. Went with plywood over 2+ layers of roofing felt as per Bill Clemmons suggestion (over a 3/4 T&G subfloor). You know how hard it is to find acceptable sheets of plywood in a big box store!*@#$%^:BangHead:

Despite all efforts there are a few seams that are not as tight as I'd like.
I thought about painting the floors but will likely just put down multiple coats of spar urethane. Not sure about the best option for sealing the joints before top coat? Wood putty? Silicone? Suggestions?

bobby g

Bob
Corporate Member
Bill,

It's looking good! I used 3 coats of MinWax floor poly on my OSB floor. It's a nice non-slip finish. Since you've installed the plywood line-to-line, I'd fill the larger spaces with Durham Rock Hard filler or a leveler made for wood floors.

bobby g

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
The floor looks pretty good to me. I'm using the same method as MarkE: sawdust. It seems I have a never ending supply, so I may as well do something useful w/ it. :gar-La; As for the finish, I painted my OSB w/ a heavy duty primer, then a gray floor paint.

Bill

dupont6480

New User
Tim
Bill,Congrats on the progress! The building looks great and I know you are excited to start making sawdust soon. I just applied my first coat of MINWAX floor poly last night to my floor. If you go this route; make sure you have plenty of ventilation and using a good respirator. Look forward to seeing more pictures.Tim

bwat

New User
Bill
Thanks Tim, ventilation and drying time will be an issue. Will likely use a small fan since I'm not really concerned about fine dust in the finish. Did you spray, brush or roll?

bwat

New User
Bill
I put the first and heaviest coat of floor treatment on last night after work. Thought I was prepared for the odor but NOT! While I've used urethanes many times before, it has always been taken outside for application or on smaller projects - not floors. I wore a respirator, gloves and safety glasses, opened 2 doors and 2 windows as well as turned on the ceiling fan and a small oscillating fan. The mix was Spar urethane (because I had lots from exterior shop doors), mineral spirits and a little BLO applied with a rag mop. As expected the first coat was sucked up by the plywood floor like a sponge. Had to immediately take a long walk with the dogs to clear my head and burning eyes. Maybe it was the fans, but the odor was still so strong at 11:00 pm that I had to close the bedroom window which is 35 feet from the nearest application. Checked it again this morning after the shop doors were closed overnight (with windows open and fans on) and still overpowering odors. I was expecting to apply a second coat (without the BLO) in 24 hours but it may take longer to clear the air. Anything sound out of the norm here? :icon_scra

bobby g

Bob
Corporate Member
Bill,

Sounds like you need more air flow. I used a 1500 cfm exhaust fan when I did mine and it was tolerable. Maybe you can rent a large fan or borrow one from your local fire station. They have them to quickly clear smoke and odors.

bobby g

bwat

New User
Bill
Two coats of sealer to-date on floors. Drying time creates a lot of down time so I needed to take advantage of the weekend to start the walls. I will get more coats on the floor next week. Completed the back wall and one front wall corner this weekend. Progress is slow working alone but starting to see the end. It was Soooo nice to flip boards around and not hit walls, ceiling and light fixtures!:icon_thum

The light knotty pine makes a noticable difference in the shop brightness over the kraft brown insulation backing. I want to keep the color light but need feel I need to seal. I did not have the time to pre-finish. Spray shelac? Suggestions?

Thanks for all the input and assistance!:icon_thum

bobby g

Bob
Corporate Member
It's looking good Bill. Shellac would be good or you might want to look at water based clear finishes.

bobby g

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS