Shop expansion started

Status
Not open for further replies.

bwat

New User
Bill
Today's pics. A reasonable amount of progress in a rain shortened afternoon. First increased the size of the opening to existing building by relocating post.
IMAG0369.jpg

View image in gallery

OSB, wrap and rafters completed all by end adjoining existing wall.

Addition visible over existing shop.

Metal roofing begins at 7 AM if weather holds.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Looks like you're making excellent progress Bill. Are you going to put a ceiling in the addition or just leave it gabled? If no ceiling, a few joist across one end would make a good place to store some wood. Just a thought.

Bill

bwat

New User
Bill
I'm really at a loss here Bill, just winging it after I get the building dry. The kit came with a loft but I do not plan to use it just yet. I'm thinking the headroom over that end of the shop where I plan to locate the table saw would be preferred. The kit loft would also require a support pole that would be an issue. There will be a window in both gable ends for added light that I'd prefer not to block too.

Plans are to store most of my lumber in the first 12x22 existing shop building. This section is unheated. The next 8x12 space has a higher floor height equal to addition and will be climate "controlled" by addition's HVAC unit. Interior walls will be opened up when I get the addition completed.

If I insulate between the rafters I can only get R-21 in the 6" rafter/1" perlin/metal roof void. Not ideal but far more that I've had before and I'm thinking preferred versus a dropped ceiling? I will insulate walls as well and add a PTAC unit unless I find a better option at a reasonable price. Suggestions?

I have 2x'4' flourescent light fixtures (thanks Scott and others) but haven't determined how to suspend or ceiling mount them just yet. Again, suggestions welcomed.

bwat

New User
Bill
Took a few more pics during a lunch break. Pushing to get it enclosed before the predicted weekend rains.

Moved a small gable window over the existing building. Amazing how much added light it provides even through the house wrap.

I really shouldn't complain about the weather recently but I sure hope the predictions of rain are incorrect this weekend - I have a LOT to do!

Last edited:

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
For cooling/heating my shop I use a Frigidaire FAM18HS2A unit mounted in the wall.
Garage-Shop_132.JPG

Got it from Lowes. 18,500 btu cooling and 16,000 btu heat. It does a real good job in my 570+- shop.

All of my fluorescent fixtures are hanging from chains that are screwed to the osb on the ceiling. The chains came with the fixtures, but I have seen the same type of light duty chains at the BORGs. Just use longer chains and screw them to the roof joists.

Garage-Shop_142.JPG

bwat

New User
Bill
Not a rtremendously productive rainy weekend but did get 3 loads of trash hauled away before the downpours. Also cut through the walls of the existing building. I now have an 11 foor wide by 8' tall opening into the existing building. Floors are about 1/8 inch lower in existing building but shouldn't be a problem. Removed ceiling in existing building- that was a nasty accumulation of dirt & dust! Header added and lag screwed to post and beam frame of the new adjoining building. Sorry, no pics yet, it was too late and dark but will get updates today.

bwat

New User
Bill
You are so right Bill! The old window was HEAVY and I broke it during removal. And the dust (and who knows what else) over that ceiling was older than me!

The exterior should be completed today! Siding almost completed yesterday with only final trim, windows and door to go. Inspector coming around noonish. Wish me luck.

Here is the back wall - had to be flush with the existing building.

The kit was precut for windows on the end which I deleted. Had to get creative to use the lumber provided.

Windows have screens and will open by tilting up to inside. Door will also have a small window.
IMAG0388.jpg

View image in gallery

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
Looking good.

What is the problem with the door?

Did the inspector show up? Results?

bwat

New User
Bill
Yes, the inspection was easy breezy -foundation and structural only.

The door is 2" thick and was poorly fit IMO. There are a few uneven and over cut joints and a bit of warp. It is certainly servicable but I'd like to replace it with a cypress v-groove door like is on the end of the shop. This is not a priority now but definitely on my ever growing roun tuit list.

Next on my list is the loft, electrical and then interior doors into the rest of the building.

bwat

New User
Bill
Progress has slowed considerably but I did get the loft installed. Went with 7.5' floor height that allows 7' headroom underneath vs the plan of 6" lower. I wanted the headroom underneath more than headroom in the loft since it will be storage instead of living space. Depth is 7' vs the plan 8' so I added 4x4 supports instead of using the existing beams at the 8' mark.
Sorry about the pics, I was in a hurry. Still need to add the 45 degree braces at corners - still unsure if I should add them as they are more decorative than functional? I laminated two 2x6 with a sheet of 3/4" ply between for the header. There will also be a 1x6 on the outside of the beam - again more decorative than functional but I will add that after the floorboards are secured.
The kit ladder is too short for the hightened loft but it was not well made anyway so I will upgrade it when I get aroun-tuit.

Again, sorry for the poor pic but I was amazed how much space this adds - over 108 sq ft.

Hope to get electrical added this weekend. Also have a spray foam insulator coming by this week for estimate on insulating the metal roof.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
Nice. :icon_thum

That loft will be very handy for additional storage without really giving up any shop space.

Looking great Bill. Love the loft. I have plans for one too! Hope you have a good electrician.:gar-La;

Hope to see it soon. On jury duty this week, got selected, trial over tomorrow, I hope.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Bill, I think you're gonna be really glad you added that loft. Like you said, it gives a lot of storage space without sacrificing shop space. :eusa_danc

Bill

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
What's with the Ghost of Woodworking (Future?)? :rotflm:

IMAG0384.jpg

Congratulations on your shop expansion. You have made some serious progress in just a short time!​

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS