Shop expansion started

Status
Not open for further replies.

bwat

New User
Bill
Finally getting started on the shop expansion this week, hope the weather holds. Long story but since I live in the Historic District my options were limited by the zoning authorities. Size kept being whittled down so I have ended up with a 16x20 addition to the existing 12x30 building. The same day the city reduced the size last I was presented with an offer on a post & beam building kit at a good price that I couldn’t resist. Got a few quotes on building assistance to get the foundation and shell completed timely, then I plan to finish the inside and exterior finishing.
Here is the company stock photo, http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/showphoto.php?photo=58803&ppuser=2851
vermont_cottage_b_img.jpg

View image in gallery

Plans are to add the building at the same floor height as the floor of the last 8’ of the 12x30 building. Several modifications are being made to the kit building in regards to no loft (for now at least), different window configurations, wood floor, adding studs 16” oc, OSB, wrap and fully insulating walls and ceiling. I’m planning on adding a PTAC (hotel like) heat & air unit. The addition and existing building will be finished alike and I will add the same metal roof to the existing shop.
Day 1 was slow, getting materials on site and site prep. Discovered I will need a short retaining on one end to ensure no water gets underneath the pier foundation.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
Nice. Adding an additional 320 square feet! You may have to buy more tools to fill the extra sapce.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
WooHoo, more shop space. :icon_cheers Congrats Bill. But where are the pics. Even if it's just a pile of dirt and some scraps of lumber laying around, we've got to have pics. we'll use our imaginations to fill in the blanks. :rotflm:

Bill

bwat

New User
Bill
Ok Bill, here are the dirt and lumber pics. Hopefully there will be more progress to report tomorrow. The site is now level.

My helper was kind enough to grade the neighbor's driveway and dig a hole for a 25 gallon maple tree while here. That really saved my back!

The kit came in 2 large bundles plus a few extras from Vermont. This is bundle #1. Lowe's has also delivered twice with added lumber, block, etc. in background.
IMAG0351.jpg

View image in gallery

Last edited:

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Bill, looking good. Building a shop is almost as much run as using it. Keep us posted.

bwat

New User
Bill
Thanks Bill. I hopefully have picked up a few things from your (and many others at NCWW) shop build suggestions for others. I plan to use your idea of 2 sheets of roofing tar paper on the subfloor before top flooring. I will also need to modify rafters in the adjoining building to improve height as per an article in Fine Woodworking on an editors's garage remodel. Still have a LOT to learn but trying not to make expensive mistakes.

Today the framing will be finished, OSB and wrap added, then on to siding and rafters. Hope to get the metal roof on early tomorrow before it gets too hot. Obviously plans are very dependent on the weather.

When all is enclosed I will move on to the wall removals and opening up the existing building.

Asheville Hardware

New User
Asheville Hardware
Looks like it will be a great shop space! What better place for woodworking than a Post and Beam building? I'm very jealous. :)

Scott

bwat

New User
Bill
Mark, You have done an outstanding job. I have been following your build for some time and hopefully will benefit from the many questions and suggestions from our membership.

Framing, OSB and wrap completed. Got the earlier mentioned post moved and now have 11 feet to work with for an opening between the two buildings. Rafters going up this afternoon. Pics tonight or in the morning.

Woodman2k

Greg Bender
Corporate Member
Rolled through your neck of the woods this afternoon and looks like progress is being made. There seemed to be some large holes in the roof though?
Greg

bwat

New User
Bill
Thats my problem now Brian, I'm a woodaholic! I have wood stored in 3 other buildings - sound familiar? Also have tools scattered around as well. Hope to turn the existing shop into wood storage and maybe a small finishing area to free the new space as dedicated work space. Who knows, I'm sure plans will change regularly.:gar-La;

Yes Greg, the roofing goes on early morning if you're in the neighborhood feel free to stop by:wink_smil.

The rains have stopped. We really didn't get a lot but I did sweep off the subfloors. Will go get a few pics to update. I didn't realize exactly how much room there would be on the gable end over the existing shop. I'm thinking I should add a small architectural window for added light? Guess I better start looking around quickly!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS