Shop electric and heat

Status
Not open for further replies.

dwg426

New User
Doug
I recently purchased a home with a 30x60 shop. Planning on upgrading electric and heat. Curious what most people have for heat and amps.

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
I use a wood stove and make my projects out of firewood-grade lumber. That way, anything I build has at least SOME use.

I'm just kidding, Doug. Sorry, I don't have any help to offer.

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Congrats Doug...you might need your own power co. for a shop that size....:gar-La;

hymie123

Jim
Corporate Member
I've just finished(exterior) building a 24x48. I ran a separate 200 amp service and plan to install a 2 ton mini split heat pump some day. I think 200 amps is more than I need for my wood shop but I wanted additional capacity for welder etc.

jim

pcooper

Phillip Cooper
Corporate Member
+1

I've just finished(exterior) building a 24x48. I ran a separate 200 amp service and plan to install a 2 ton mini split heat pump some day. I think 200 amps is more than I need for my wood shop but I wanted additional capacity for welder etc.

jim

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
I would say more than enough Jim....mine is 24X24 with and additional 10 x 14 finishing bldg and I have 60 amp dedicated to shop. Do not have any problems with power. Is that shop insulated Doug?

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Remember that if shop is on separate service (meter) you will have to pay commercial rates, which include demand charges. For a shop that size, I would look at gas heat.

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
I have a detached shop and garage, two separate areas. Each is approx 24' x 36'. I feed both from one 100 amp breaker (240v) in the house main panel. Remember, if it's just you working, how many machines will you have running at that time? Sometimes I have several people (and machines running) simultaneously without issues. Oh yes, I have a heat pump on my shop!

CDPeters

Master of None
Chris
Hi Doug -

My shop building is 24 x 56, but the shop is only 24 x 28 (LOML gets the other half :)). The building is feed with 100 amp off the main house panel. This is plenty for me working alone, but if I was going to have a multi-user space, I'd go with 200 amp. The HVAC is a Goodman 2 ton/75,000 btu split and the heat fuel is propane. Stays quite comfortable year round.

HTH,
C.

Endless Pursuit

New User
Jeff
200 amp panel with a minimum of 24 circuits. I put in 36 and have 7 left...
3 ton unit - agree with others that Gas/Propane would be best fuel. The AC (dehumidification) will keep your tools from rusting in summer.

With all the digital resources today, I put in a telephone/internet service and built a samll, dust-proof room for PC and printer. I use it more than I thought I would.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
I recently purchased a home with a 30x60 shop. Planning on upgrading electric and heat. Curious what most people have for heat and amps.
I think you meant to say - you recently purchased a 30x60 shop with a detached home.

I heat my shop with a wood burning stove. But most of the time I burn coal instead of wood. Coal is cheap and gives off more heat, burns longer and produces less ash than wood.

I've actually been toying around with the idea of coal fired generator and produce my own electricity for my personal use and sell the excess back to the co-op.

Sure let the flame wars begin... I can hear some saying now - OMG how could you heat with coal. But before you do - remember one thing - me choosing to use coal has a direct impact on local jobs.

Last edited:

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Remember that if shop is on separate service (meter) you will have to pay commercial rates, which include demand charges. For a shop that size, I would look at gas heat.
Why is that Bruce? Only one residential drop per property or what? What do they do for farmers - charge them out the wazoo also? Odd its just a little more aluminum wire and a few poles - strange the would sock it to you for that.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
My shop is 22' x 32' with almost 10' ceilings. I have 100 Amp service box. I heat it with a 220V garage heater hung from the ceiling. Make sure you insulate well.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
My shop is roughly the same size as yours, Doug, and is a free standing building. For electric, I have a 200 amp, 40 slot breaker box/service panel.

For heat, I have a dual fuel furnace. Basically a heat pump for normal operations, but w/ the ability to switch to propane/gas for extreme temperature differential situaltions.

arcwick08

New User
arcwick08
I have a 20x50 building and I heat the whole thing with a single propane flamethrower, run off 5gal tanks. Takes it from 30F to 60F pretty quickly, though it is a well insulated building.
A giant open flame in a woodshop may or may not be the definition of a terrible idea, but it hasn't burned me yet!:icon_cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS