shop doors: sliding or hinged?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brenthenze

New User
Brent Henze
Hi all,

Happy to report that my new barn/shop project is finally underway--the concrete crew has just about completed the formwork and hopefully they'll be ready to pour on Friday.

I still haven't decided whether to use a sliding door (on tracks, sort of like the big door on Norm's shop) or just hinged, z-braced double-doors for the vehicle/load entrance. I don't plan to keep a vehicle in the building--just be able to back in to load and unload. The opening will be about 9' or 10' wide and 7' high (or whatever is typical of garage doors--I guess I should measure a full-size truck to see what's required).

My main concern about the sliding door option is air-tightness. The main floor of the shop will be insulated. I haven't seen a lot of sliding doors (except in pictures), but my sense is that it's not really possible to make them very weather-tight (air comes in around the edges and top) since there's no jamb. So heat and cool air loss would be a problem. Does that sound right, or does someone know of/have experience with a sliding door that's designed for insulated spaces?

Thanks for your advice, all! (Pictures forthcoming...as soon as there's something more than a big pile of sand and sod to photograph.)

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Brent,

On one hand, the sliding door (a la Norm's shop) would be easier to build for a very large opening and would not sag out of square. I think you have a legit concern about making a slider weather-tight. You could put a track around it... somewhat like a storm window. That would keep the wind from blowing straight through. Weather stripping could tighten up the seam a bit more.

Ray

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
On my last shop I built barn doors, (2) 5 x 8 fully insulated, and loved them, but I also had a 36" entry door for general in and out travel. I would advise a regular door if one isn't planned. As far as a slider, Tom (toolferone) has a nice one on his shop, maybe he can let you know how he likes that.

Good Luck,
Jimmy:mrgreen:

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
I recommend hinged. These are on my shop/garage. They're made from 1" SYP, crisscrossed for a 2" thickness. Hinged doors are much easier to seal and make weatherproof.

T

toolferone

I agree that hinged is easier, but I like my sliding door. I would be happy to chat with you about it if you want.

http://www.dreamshopwoodworks.com/door.htm

shop6502.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS