Shop cleaning/organizing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
I made the first additions to my tool collection in a long time at DaveO's and Woodguy1975's. After bring my most small to medium size items home, I knew I had to clean and organize the shop. As some of you know, my shop is small (22 x 12). I spent 7 hours today cleaning. I moved my joiner/planer and TS out of the shop along with a lot of wood. Somehow wood finds it's way into every available spot. I swept and vacuumed the floor, racks and tools. I still have a few hours to go, Tomorrow I will organize the drawers, bench-top (there is a lot of crap on top) and cabinets. Then I have to sort the wood on the woodracks. I already found a lot of firewood for the fire pit ( crap old plywood that has been sitting for 7 years, most leftovers from when I walled my shop). Man I am tired.

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
people actually clean there shop Doug ? I thought only Charlie did that!

Last edited:

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Doug when you get through, I know where you could keep going... so you don't miss all that cleaning and organizing
I need to do the same thing.

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
Doug, I got the impression you might be planning on burning your old plywood in a fire pit. I wouldn't recommend that. The glue in the plywood makes some nasty stuff when it is burned.

Roy G

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Coincidence or what.

I am somewhat forced to clean and re-organize at least once a year around this time. It has come time for our annual termite inspection which means moving all equipment out from the interior walls of my attached garage shop to give him "tapping access". This is one time that I appreciate most all of my gear being on wheels. As I vacuum, I come across all kinds of lost treasures! :) Basically puts me out of commission in the shop for a few days. (So I can focus on replacing my last 9 interior doors.)

Good luck with your reorg and newly found square footage, Doug.;)

Wayne

ste6168

New User
Mike
I made the first additions to my tool collection in a long time at DaveO's and Woodguy1975's. After bring my most small to medium size items home, I knew I had to clean and organize the shop. As some of you know, my shop is small (22 x 12). I spent 7 hours today cleaning. I moved my joiner/planer and TS out of the shop along with a lot of wood. Somehow wood finds it's way into every available spot. I swept and vacuumed the floor, racks and tools. I still have a few hours to go, Tomorrow I will organize the drawers, bench-top (there is a lot of crap on top) and cabinets. Then I have to sort the wood on the woodracks. I already found a lot of firewood for the fire pit ( crap old plywood that has been sitting for 7 years, most leftovers from when I walled my shop). Man I am tired.

Doug, Off topic here, but my shop is similar size, actually slightly smaller. Are there any pictures floating around here that I could see how you have things setup?

Thanks!

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
Well, I am done, but sore. In response to a couple of requests, I plan on starting a new thread with pics I just took.

Things I found:

The live center for my lathe, all my knives, and all my nail guns.

I sorted all me wood: I found Cherry, Maple, Oak, Black Walnut, Pine, Cypress, Cedar, Quilted Maple, Birdseye Maple, Birch, and Purple Heart.

I sorted all me nuts, bolts, washers and screws.

I gathered all my stray drill bits, measured them and put them back in their respective holders.

Based on the fact that I had not used some tools in over 5 years I moved those to more remote locations and put the more commonly used tools in their place.

Like I said I will start a new thread with pictures shortly.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Doug, Off topic here, but my shop is similar size, actually slightly smaller. Are there any pictures floating around here that I could see how you have things setup?

Thanks!

That is one of the great things about our shop crawls. You get to see shops of all different sizes and how people have made them work for themselves.

We need to have another one sometime before the weather gets too hot. Any volunteers to organize one in your area. By 'your area' I mean anywhere in NC/VA. It just takes one person to organize. We can help with the planning and logistics, but we need a local champion.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Sorting nuts bolts washes I dont think I could do in a day. But mine are already sorted in coffee cans. Sure you may have to dump a few to find what your you looking for but its a bit like a treasure hunt :)

I actually need to clean out my shop. But I open all the doors and windows and use a leaf blower instead of a vacuum. Much quicker and about the same effect. Just need to wear eye/ear protection and dust mask.

Maybe the Fountain of Youth isn't a fountain at all. Maybe it's a way of looking at things. A way of thinking.

ste6168

New User
Mike
That is one of the great things about our shop crawls. You get to see shops of all different sizes and how people have made them work for themselves.

We need to have another one sometime before the weather gets too hot. Any volunteers to organize one in your area. By 'your area' I mean anywhere in NC/VA. It just takes one person to organize. We can help with the planning and logistics, but we need a local champion.

I would love to attend a shop crawl, not sure anyone would be interested in coming to see my meager space, but anyone is welcome! From the looks of it, there doesn't appear to be many people (on NCWW at least) in the MHC/Beaufort/AB/Down East area). I do know of 3/4 guys that I have saw have shops driving by their house in this area, I am half tempted to just stop in sometime!

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I am half tempted to just stop in sometime!

Don't know how many times I have done that, never been shot and have made some good friends.

Met a guy just last week building a little office in his driveway. I stopped when I saw him out there working one day.

He stopped and showed me what he was doing then took me in his shop and I couldn't believe some of the stuff he has made.

DSCN0106.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS