Shop Cart w/ Drawers: Sketchup Model

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy
This is my first attempt to make a project that begins with a Sketchup Model. All projects I have done in the past have been based on existing plans or very crude drawings that I threw together myself. This is a simple project, so I figured I would try and model it in Sketchup first as practice for more complicated future designs.

This cart will sit under the extension table of my tablesaw. I really need more drawers for storage and it can be pulled out as a surface to set project parts on or anything else that I need.

ShopCart.png

ShopCart_DrawersPulled.png

ShopCart_Drawer.png

Anyone have any comments or suggestions? I would love to get some input on the overall design and the Sketchup model. Thanks.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Nice job, Jeremy. For me, SketchUp is just a nice drawing method to work out proportions and dimensions before I start cutting. I also us it to develop working drawings and parts list. Anything more than that is nice, but not necessary to go to the shop.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
GREAT Job Jeremy!
Looks good and it will be interesting to see what you change as you "Get on with the business!"

eyekode

New User
Salem
I like the idea of being able to pull it out to serve as an assembly table or something.

I am sketching up a general tool cart as well. I have made one before and the drawers were as you drew them. That design makes it trivial to use drawer guides and to attach the drawer fronts for an even reveal.

IMG_2712.JPG

For a wood shop I like the cheap under mount glides as they wont gum up like ball bearings can.
That said my next one will use ball bearings because that is what I have :).

Good luck!

Last edited:

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
Nice work, Jeremy. You asked for comments on the SketchUp model. I'd love to see your model. One thing I can see from your screen shots is that you've drawn your model upside down. I'm guessing that you've been finding orbiting around a bit of a challenge. The model really should be oriented so the solid blue axis goes up not down. I'm guessing you applied the "wood grain" material to the outside of your groups/components which doesn't allow you to correct the grain orientation. That material is the "cherry" wood texture which is also way too large. If you edit it down to 12" square, it'll be better. Or maybe it won't. Maybe it's better to have that material image way too big. ;)

Keep up the great work, though.

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Nice job, Jeremy. For me, SketchUp is just a nice drawing method to work out proportions and dimensions before I start cutting. I also us it to develop working drawings and parts list. Anything more than that is nice, but not necessary to go to the shop.

Bill,
I don't want to hijack Jeremy's thread but along a similar vane - do you use the purchased version and or have you purchased Style builder so you can make 2-D "drawings" of the pieces you have built in 3-D or how do you create your dimensioned "pieces?"

Jeremy, same question to you -are you just using "free" Sketch-up or do you have Style builder for the pieces and parts?

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
Bill,
I don't want to hijack Jeremy's thread but along a similar vane - do you use the purchased version and or have you purchased Style builder so you can make 2-D "drawings" of the pieces you have built in 3-D or how do you create your dimensioned "pieces?"

Jeremy, same question to you -are you just using "free" Sketch-up or do you have Style builder for the pieces and parts?

Sorry, I also don't want to hijack the thread but...

Hank, Style Builder is part of the SketchUp Pro package. It is used for making sketchy line styles such as the ones you often see in my illustrations. LayOut, which also is included with the pro version of SketchUp could be used for making plans (that's how I make them) but it isn't required for making 2D "drawings" of the pieces in the SketchUp file. You can make 2D views directly in SketchUp. LayOut and Style Builder are not available separately. The only way to get them is with SKetchUp Pro.

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Sorry, I also don't want to hijack the thread but...

Hank, Style Builder is part of the SketchUp Pro package. It is used for making sketchy line styles such as the ones you often see in my illustrations. LayOut, which also is included with the pro version of SketchUp could be used for making plans (that's how I make them) but it isn't required for making 2D "drawings" of the pieces in the SketchUp file. You can make 2D views directly in SketchUp. LayOut and Style Builder are not available separately. The only way to get them is with SKetchUp Pro.

I was going to PM Dave, but hopefully this helps everyone -

So Dave...when can you hold a 30 minute class taking a 3-D model and using (FREE) Sketch-up to create 2-D drawings from the model - maybe for instance a roll-around tool cart, if "Somebody" is willing???

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
We ought to be able to work that out one of these days. :)

FWIW, if you saw the thread on the smoker stand, the 2D drawings I showed were made from the 3D model. In fact they are just views of the 3D model.

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
That makes sense!
I (as well as many others, I'm sure) would look forward to another Dave Richards Sketch-up session!

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy
Nice work, Jeremy. You asked for comments on the SketchUp model. I'd love to see your model. One thing I can see from your screen shots is that you've drawn your model upside down. I'm guessing that you've been finding orbiting around a bit of a challenge. The model really should be oriented so the solid blue axis goes up not down. I'm guessing you applied the "wood grain" material to the outside of your groups/components which doesn't allow you to correct the grain orientation. That material is the "cherry" wood texture which is also way too large. If you edit it down to 12" square, it'll be better. Or maybe it won't. Maybe it's better to have that material image way too big. ;)

Keep up the great work, though.

Here is a link to the sketchup model: http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=410

I agree that the axis aren't in the same orientation as when you open a new sketchup session. I tried flipping things over, but then the standard views end up making the piece upside down. I am confused....

I am also using the free version of Sketchup (version 8.0.15158)

Jeremy

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Bill,

Dave has answered the question far better than I can, but I'll give it a shot. I use the free version only. SketchUp 2014. I tried to upload the new SketchUp 15, but my Operating System (Vista) is too old. I need to get a new computer anyway.

For 2D images, I use the "Export" tool. Arrange the 3D image in SketchUp the way you want it. Then go to "File", "Export", "2D Graphic". This will create a PNG Image, very similar to a JPG Image.

For dimensions, I separate out the part I want to dimension, then use the "Dimension" tool. Next, I follow the above "Export" procedure and print the image I want to take to the shop. You could also just go to "File", "Print", to print whatever you see on the screen. I don't have a computer in the shop, so I take paper copies. Besides, I like paper so I can make notes on them. :)

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
Here is a link to the sketchup model: http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=410

I agree that the axis aren't in the same orientation as when you open a new sketchup session. I tried flipping things over, but then the standard views end up making the piece upside down. I am confused....

I am also using the free version of Sketchup (version 8.0.15158)

Jeremy

Jeremy, I'll take a look at it when I get home but for the standard views to make sense, the solid blue axis should be up, solid red running to the right from the origin and the solid green running into the background. If they don't point those directions when you select a standard view, you probably wound up changing the axis orientation at some point. Don't worry about it now. I'll sort it out for you this afternoon.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I know next to nothing about sketchup but the drawing looks good to me. I like that type of castor and plan to use them on future shop carts. I have them on my table saw now. I do not use that type of drawer construction. I've tried it and with a good setup it is fast. The setup is tricky, however. I've gone to using dovetails, using a modified HF jig, for nearly everything including shop drawers. They don't take a lot of time and are really strong and good looking. For something quicker, I tend to just use screws and glue. I made furniture over 30 years ago with butt joints screwed together and it help up fine including through several moves. I plug the screw holes so it doesn't look terrible and sand the plugs flush. You could save material by eliminating the false front if you went to screws and glue (just screw the front to the sides). If you don't want to use through screws, pocket screws hold even better.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
This is my first attempt to make a project that begins with a Sketchup Model. All projects I have done in the past have been based on existing plans or very crude drawings that I threw together myself. This is a simple project, so I figured I would try and model it in Sketchup first as practice for more complicated future designs.

This cart will sit under the extension table of my tablesaw. I really need more drawers for storage and it can be pulled out as a surface to set project parts on or anything else that I need.

View attachment 14211

View attachment 14212

View attachment 14213

Anyone have any comments or suggestions? I would love to get some input on the overall design and the Sketchup model. Thanks.

I think you should go with red wheels. :D Apart from that, a fantastic design.

Sharpening cabinet 003.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS