Shop Build

Dash

New User
Devin
I may be building soon. Does anyone have a notion of square foot costs? I looked up national averages for garages and it was $49sqft. I assume that is uninsulated without extensive electrics and insulation.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Here is something I did for my brother it is a 97-2003 excel file estimate sheet look at it and pm Ill send you my phone number and I can explain how to use it.

Basically It is showing 52.00 sqft cost

Attachments

• Garage for NC Woodworker.zip
    74.2 KB · Views: 221

Dash

New User
Devin
Here is something I did for my brother it is a 97-2003 excel file estimate sheet look at it and pm Ill send you my phone number and I can explain how to use it.

Thanks Oka.

Dash

New User
Devin

Oka, I can't find private messaging on this site. My email is devindascher@gmail. Let me know when I could give you a call.

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
@Dash aka Devin.... in the upper right corner of the screen you'll see an envelope with a number over it. That's the NEW PM or as it's now called "conversation", Here's a snippet of mine that shows I have 10 PM or conversations ongoing :

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Feel free to call me My Name is Casey- 808.218.8420, I am now in Hawaii so any time after 1pm your time works.

Your email bounced back BTW

Feel free to call me
Oka, I can't find private messaging on this site. My email is devindascher@gmail. Let me know when I could give you a call.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User

I built mine for $25/sf (2160 sq ft plus 864 Sq ft load bearing attic space) and all I did myself was some wiring.

Hjanes

Harlan
User
Venting vacuum outdoors will require a way to provide outside air into the shop if windows and doors are to be kept closed. If HVAC is active there are air exchangers that include a heat exchanger to minimize heat/cool losses. Nice shop, right-sized and it will be fun to fill. Dreams can come true.

Hjanes

Harlan
User
Lighting. You might have a lot of outside light built into your design. We didn't. When we did our "walk thru" with the electrical contractor for our walk-out lower level garage and shop 19 years ago, the contractor said "that's the code level lighting". It was clear with my aging eyes we needed more, so we decided to "double it". But put alternating rows of flourescents on a separate circuits and switches. Enter the area casually, one circuit is enough. Working there, turn both on. Double code is not too much. And for detail work and close machine work I still use task lighting. If you plan to age in that shop, during rough-in is the time to set your long term needs in place. And today I'd evaluate the use of today's latest lighting methods, not flourescents.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
You can Download a ft candle app. to measure lighting. Assembly/light commercial lighting should be 60-70 ft candles @ the worktable height. That level you will be able to see clearly. Test labs and surgery rooms get upwards to 120 ft candle.
FYI Lumen(Lux) to ft candle is roughly 1 ft candle is 10 lumen (Actual is 10.76 lumen to one ft candle).

Most garages are in the 30 ft candle range.

Mike K

Mike
Corporate Member
Yes the insulation is all in place. Just working on the walls, then I get to finally build my cabinets, and install the dust collection. Building a building like this all by myself is definitely a huge task.

AllanD

Allan
Corporate Member
Go ahead with doubling the lights. When I designed my shop the electricians kidded me saying they will wear sunglasses if they visited. I had read that 100 foot-candles would be advised for close work but I am getting over 125 at work bench height and wouldn't want any less. They are arranged on several circuits which is one of the few things I would change. I would rather have them divided into areas rather than intermixed. I never turn on less than all of them unless I am just going in for something for a second.

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy
I'm glad I put up all the lights that I did....

Mike K

Mike
Corporate Member
Got this to heat the shop. Anybody ever seen this before. It is wood burning.

Attachments

• IMG_0660.jpeg
    IMG_0660.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 267
  • IMG_0661.jpeg
    IMG_0661.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 252

Mike K

Mike
Corporate Member
It's time to bring everything into the shop and start taking up wall space, finally.

Attachments

• IMG_0672.jpeg
    IMG_0672.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 242
  • IMG_0671.jpeg
    IMG_0671.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 251
  • IMG_0670.jpeg
    IMG_0670.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 273
  • IMG_0669.jpeg
    IMG_0669.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 242

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I bet you are excited Mike - the shop looks GREAT!

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS