Shop Build

photostu

New User
Stuart
Latest update. Ready for the rough in inspection. My electrician is doing the box hook up and the meter drop. Hope to have power soon. Lights and ceiling fan mounts are all done along with exhaust fan. Prepping to do the windows and doors. Trim and siding last, then move in all my stuff and get to work.
Imagine being the EE who has to run all those lines through the studs, spade bit drilling for days! :D

Mike K

Mike
Corporate Member
That would be me. Used a right angle hole hawg. Made the job much easier. Still beat me up for a couple of days.

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy
Drilling through a 2x4 with a spade bit is much more of a pain than I ever would have thought. These auger bits are self feeding and make it a total breeze. They come in various diameters for different sized holes.

Bosch Daredevil 3/4 in. x 7-1/2 in. Tube Auger Bit-NKST12 - The Home Depot

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
I notice there does not appear to be any lines going down under the floor. Are you planning on bring power up to those tools/benches located away from the walls at a later date? Or just running extension cords?

Mike K

Mike
Corporate Member
Those are the drilling bits that I used to do the holes. Just make sure that you have a good death grip on the drill. Actually I did run two feeds under the floor for the table saw and Jointer/planer that are located in the middle area of the shop. One wall will have a miter station and another wall will be dedicated to a sanding area with hand tool storage and workbench area. The other machines will be located around the shop where extension cords will not be required.

bobsmodels

Bob
Senior User
Am I forgetting something.

Mike
That is one fine shop.

I certainly cannot tell from your wiring. Do you have a circuit for heat/ smoke / CO alarms? In my remote shop they are wired up back to the house so if one goes off in the shop the house ones trigger. I imagine they have WIFI types now, but having it remoted to the house makes them more effective. I ran an extra wire from the house to the building along with the power feed.

Bob

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Was it cheaper to do the build with wood versus doing one of the steel sheds that look similar? Just curious as I have thought about building an out building (not this size) and was wondering which construction method may be the cheapest.

A big portion of the answer to that question is going to depend on the cost of labor in your area. The prefab buildings such as Morton require less labor.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I see some of the metal plates to prevent drilling into electrical wires under the window in the pictures but not elsewhere. I'm assuming that is just a work in progress as these are very important.

- Ken (who punched a nail into a water line when remodeling the basement for a shop.)

Mike K

Mike
Corporate Member
I do not as of yet have a circuit for heat or smoke. I plan on using a wireless system for heat and smoke and security, or I might run a cat 5 cable to the shop to take acre of all the computer stuff. I never priced a metal building. I used subs that built my house, and worked with them on the best deal. Basically side jobs. Everything came out good. When it is all wrapped up I will calculate the price per sq ft that the building cost.

Mike K

Mike
Corporate Member
Electrical is complete. Just waiting for conditional power inspection then Duke is on the way. Got the windows and door in and lights and fans are installed. Working on the siding the I get my CO. Almost there.

Attachments

• 8o%U9YNRT3OqgePfeZN28w.jpg
    8o%U9YNRT3OqgePfeZN28w.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 317
  • lh+H5lEdQ8aqtdF7vpOc%w.jpg
    lh+H5lEdQ8aqtdF7vpOc%w.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 263
  • DUzG9pNRRdC70tK9fTtD0Q.jpg
    DUzG9pNRRdC70tK9fTtD0Q.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 249
  • Xt9+44bXTaiCCJCNzfvWyA.jpg
    Xt9+44bXTaiCCJCNzfvWyA.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 254
  • 0bzw1UmfQO+LsITvzegTbA.jpg
    0bzw1UmfQO+LsITvzegTbA.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 251

Mike K

Mike
Corporate Member
Finally got the CO. Slowly moving in. Had to devote a full day to cleaning all the machines and get them running again. Nice to be working in the shop. Still have a lots to do but now I am inside.

Attachments

• p0WcEZEsS6+o5XgHfNlv%Q.jpg
    p0WcEZEsS6+o5XgHfNlv%Q.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 274
  • tQw4FcdRRr2tCU5kDLVSiQ.jpg
    tQw4FcdRRr2tCU5kDLVSiQ.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 259
  • sY2hv1JFRvSdbIJm0nZAWA.jpg
    sY2hv1JFRvSdbIJm0nZAWA.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 258
  • 0c1wtkhETpu+B1CWyFw40A.jpg
    0c1wtkhETpu+B1CWyFw40A.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 273
  • JktR16L0SsyttV2GjSCCYg.jpg
    JktR16L0SsyttV2GjSCCYg.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 266

DSWalker

David
Corporate Member
For less than or close to a $1000 bucks you can get the mini split. Be sure to run a 30 amp dedicated circuit to where you think it may go. Even if you decide to wait till later, it will be good to have it installed. Then the mini split install will be a breeze. I couldn't imagine building that nice of a shop w/o HVAC.

Looks great and congratulations!

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
Was it cheaper to do the build with wood versus doing one of the steel sheds that look similar? Just curious as I have thought about building an out building (not this size) and was wondering which construction method may be the cheapest.

Mine is 1,400 sq feet with a 600 sq ft room upstairs to be finished later. I built stick but did pricing on all options. For a fully well insulated and conditioned heat/cool building Morton steel buildings priced around $20,000 more and that excluded the upstairs room. But for an inexpensive barely insulated shed without conditioning the costs would have been 1/3 rd.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
Scott, I recently built a 30 x 72 shop and looked into the same question. The reason I went stick construction was two fold. One, you need to basically build a building inside a steel building to insulate it and wire it and make it "woodshop like" . I say wood shop like because many of us want to easliy hang things on the walls and steel buildings are just that, a thin steel skin. The second was simple changes later on down the road (adding widows , doors etc).

Mike K

Mike
Corporate Member
The mini split has been all wired for and will be installed shortly. Just need to get the floor down, insulate the walls and put up the shiplap. Now just need the heat to let up a bit.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS