Shop Buddy? Maybe!

Status
Not open for further replies.

gazzer

Gazzer
Corporate Member
Went into the shop last night and ran into this guy. I am generally not bothered by spiders; anything that eats roaches and camel crickets is worth having around. This one; however was a bit larger than I felt comfortable with - for reference, the plank that he is on is 5" wide!

I am thinking is a species of wolf spider, but am hoping that someone more knowledgeable can provide an opinion. It may be that this guy can help me with my mouse problem. If so I will give him a name and keep him around.

Thanks

-G

shop_spider.jpg

View image in gallery

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Wow, that is some spider! While I have no idea what kind of spider it is, I do know that I am not as tolerant as you are...I would have whacked it!

Cheers,
Donn

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
I'm not sure what kind of spider that is but I have them around here too. It's fun to chase em down with the lawn mower, they can run pretty fast.

Like you I try an not kill spiders unless they are widows or recluses of if Wife hollers "Oh Hunny", then I know it's time to exterminate something, it's usually a little bug or spider. If she screams real loud "Jeff" I know to come with the 12 gauge.

One bug I really dislike is those dang blasted camel crickets, I have no idea what their purpose in life is but to be dog gone weird...

zapdafish

Steve
Corporate Member
Wow, that is some spider! While I have no idea what kind of spider it is, I do know that I am not as tolerant as you are...I would have whacked it!

Cheers,
Donn

only prob with that is a big 3 inch splotch of dead spider on a piece of wood. :cry_smile

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Wolf spider. I have one (I think two) that has taken up residence in my shop. I'm no fan of spiders but I appreciate their work... Since I've noticed him/them there is a decline in his relatives.
I thought about whacking him but didn't. Least he's big enough to see.
wolfspider140657.jpg

All spiders have some venom, but this species is not considered dangerous. However, its bite has caused necrosis lesions in sensitive individuals.

<LI id=jsArticleStep1 itxtvisited="1">
Note that a Carolina Wolf Spider's color ranges from gray to brown. The abdomen may have a darker stripe along the midline and the females are slightly paler than the males. Females have a sparse covering of gray hair.
<LI id=jsArticleStep2 itxtvisited="1">Measure the legspan. The Carolina Wolf is very similar to other wolf spiders except for the size. The body length for females can exceed 1 inch with a leg span of 4 inches. The males have a maximum body length of ¾ inch. This species has a pair of larger forward-facing eyes and a pair of oversized fangs.

ss600r

New User
Steve
I kill every spider I see lol. Even they I know they do some good the bites are one of the few things I am allergic to.

Mike Wilkins

Mike
Corporate Member
A size 11 or some chemical method to send him to spider heaven. Not sure if I would have let him live for long, even if he could take care of a mouse problem.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
I got your buddies friend over here, my son and I caught it tonight on the front porch... That's a 3 1/2" diameter mason jar and it can't even stretch out in the bottom of the jar. Zoom in for a close up of the hair on this thing...

P10100633.JPG

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Hey Gary, I got a positive ID on your spider and her friend over here. They are a member of the Pisauridae - Nursery Web Spiders Family. Specifically it's a Dolomedes scriptus (Fishing Spider). You can read about them here and here. Like a black widows, the females are bigger than the males and the females eat their mate.

spider2624.jpg

Thanks

gazzer

Gazzer
Corporate Member
Hey Gary, I got a positive ID on your spider and her friend over here. They are a member of the Pisauridae - Nursery Web Spiders Family. Specifically it's a Dolomedes scriptus (Fishing Spider). You can read about them here and here. Like a black widows, the females are bigger than the males and the females eat their mate.

That's it exactly. Thanks Jeff. I don't don't think that I recall ever hearing about fishing spiders. This one was a bit far from water - Ellerbe Creek is at least a quarter mile away - unless you count my "pond" (low area that collects standing water when we get a lot of rain).

What I need is some squirrel spiders. Big nets in trees to catch climbing rodents sure would help my current plague.

-G

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors