Shop Air conditioning

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Reeves

New User
John Reeves
OK I give up. I am not sure which is stickier, me or the things I am putting a finish on. What size ac unit do I need. Two car garage, Insulated doors, one outside door and one outside window (31' x 23") for ac unit.

Garage is about 25' x 25' = 625sf

Secondly, does any one have one they are selling. I am finding some on CL. 8000 btu seems to be the largest I find.

DavidF

New User
David
OK I give up. I am not sure which is stickier, me or the things I am putting a finish on. What size ac unit do I need. Two car garage, Insulated doors, one outside door and one outside window (31' x 23") for ac unit.

Garage is about 25' x 25' = 625sf

Secondly, does any one have one they are selling. I am finding some on CL. 8000 btu seems to be the largest I find.

I use an 8000 btu window unit for a 20 x 20 and it is MORE than adequate. I can maintain 75 deg without a problem and it doesn't need to run all the time to get that.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
I'm having to add an AC to my shop. Today it was miserable 77 degrees in there. Of course it was 47 degrees in there last winter.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Did you say a "miserable 77 degrees", I think you did?
I did say 77 degrees. My shop is cedar sided with 1" of styrafoam under siding. (It was left over from a shoping center that I was building. The owner deleted a store. The Raleigh Woodcraft store now occupies that spot.) No other wall insulation. Doors face south. Both of the overheads are insulated steel, and the personel door is insulated steel with half glass, IG that is. The cieling is R-30) over 60% 0f the shop. The rest is only R-19. On mornings when temp is below 70, I open personel door and one roll up door and set fan to blow into shop. When outside temp goes above shop temp., fan is cut off and doors closed. Kinda like a thermos bottle effect. I don't find not having windows to be a problem. Definitely cuts down on the possibility of theft. (Of course the 180 pounds of dogs sleeping near shop also helps. The smaller one is the mean one.) In winter, sun shines in doors for about four hours. On most days, I open doors and let sunlight warm shop. This time of the year, humidity becomes a problem. A dehumidifier will remove moisture, but add heat to shop. Simpler to have a small AC unit to remove both heat and humidity. Recently I got a FREE one from a job I was doing. It is only 5K BTU, but more than adequate for my needs.

Makinsawdust

New User
Robert
JMR2,
A 14700 BTU worked great when I was in my 675sq ft garage shop. It ran about the right amount to keep it cool and keep the humidity at bay. I had the same number of doors and one window like you with a brick exterior. From start up on a hot day it would take about an hour to get the temp under control.
Rob

lottathought

New User
Michael
I have 5000BTU window unit.
That is for a 2 car garage with the 10ft ceiling.
I want a bigger one but it will have to do for now.
It is just enough to make the garage semi-comfortable on days like the past couple and I think the real testiment to it is the way it sucks the moisture out of the air.
Course, 1 min with the garage door open and you have wrecked a couple of hours of reaching the peak of what it can do in the garage.

GeorgeM

New User
George
I have a 1 1/2 ton heat pump that I bought 15 years ago used(heat pump part was inop) for $200.00 and it cools a 720 square foot garage with 10 foot ceilings down into the 60's if you want it to. This one came from an apartment complex. Best money I have spent on the shop. I also added insulated doors which helped as much as overhead insulation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS