Shooting Board

Status
Not open for further replies.

tdukes

New User
Eddie
Hello,

So, I'm thinking about making a shooting board. I think it would be helpful when you just need to take just a hair off rather than trying to take it off on the table saw. I have plenty of scraps to make one. I only have two hand planes, a Stanley low angle block plane and a Stanley #5 Jack Plane. Would either of these be usable for a shooting board? The Jack plane seems kinda big.

Also, a couple questions. It would seem to me, the shooting board would wear out from the plane blade. Does the plane create a rabbet or should I make one? I saw a video by Rob Cosman making one and he puts a bow in the base. I don't understand why he did that. Is that necessary? Wouldn't be hard to do as he did but just trying to understand.

TIA

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member

TENdriver

New User
TENdriver
Eddie,

For bevel down (BD) planes, I actually preferred shooting with a No.7 or the No.6 plane. The size and weight helps me to maintain the momentum when slicing end grain. Your No.5 jack will work just fine, it’ll require more force to make up for less mass. Which isn’t really an issue. Just a different feel.

BTW, while trimming length is one use, many more times it’s about squaring the ends to the reference side.

mbromley

New User
Bromley
I just made one over the weekend to true up my miters on a face frame and it worked perfectly. I used my Stanley No 5 without issue.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I use a #5 Veritas Low Angle Bevel Down plane in my shooting board. Would love to have one of the Lie Nelson or Veritas dedicated shooting planes but haven't pulled the trigger on that yet.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
A low angle jack plane works very well. The heavier the better. The plane I use is over 9 pounds

TENdriver

New User
TENdriver
While you CAN use a No.5 jack to shoot, I don’t :gar-Bi

attachment.php

Ken, I also have the Veritas LAJ. It’s a very nice shooter but...Center shelf on left is a Veritas Mitre plane (great plane) and hiding behind it at the very back of the shelf is the big gun, Veritas right-Hand shooter.

Now, if only my woodworking capabilities were just 5% of what my tool’s capabilities are!!!

Attachments

• DF99B485-8765-432B-AC79-A5BE257EE4B2.jpg
    DF99B485-8765-432B-AC79-A5BE257EE4B2.jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 125

tdukes

New User
Eddie
Glued up a shooting board this afternoon. Will take it out of the clamps tomorrow and finish it up installing a cleat and fence. I pre-cut the rabbet. Its the right height but I may have made it too deep. If I'm careful, I think I can run it face down on the table saw and remove a little. The plane blade won't extrude as much as I allowed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS