Shipping Help - packing and shipping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ralrick

New User
Rick
I sold off some of my golf club making equipment to get into woodworking. I have one peice that has a stand about 40" tall and 10"x10" base - it weighs about 75 lbs. Any idea where to get a box that would be strong enough to hold something like this and any idea's on the best way to ship to TX? Not sure if UPS is the good or if I need to look into a LTL trucking company. If you have any experience or recommendations, please let me know.

thanks,

Robert Arrowood

New User
Robert Arrowood
Hi Rick sounds like you need to build a crate around the piece.Not really sure just what you've got.But once you've got the crate built you can staple cardboard around it.You can build the crate out of white pine for weight purpose's.

Good Luck,
Robert
Arrowood

ashley_phil

Phil Ashley
Corporate Member
I recommend you lay it down on the long edge and build a skid w/4x4 runners and 1x decking. then frame it out w/1x which is called a frame crate then you can shrink wrap the crap out of the whole thing. main reason i don't recommend cardboard is for some reason the people hired to load & unload trucks with common carriers feel cardboard provide more protection than it really does. if the piece is very fragile or real expensive i'd say to put some 1/4 ply or luan on the frame.

then for shipping i recommend you go with fed-ex freight or contact www.freightquote.com to get rates on the shipment freight quote will sell you extra insurance for the used pieces it's call fireman's if they don't offer it to you let me know we ship a lot through work and i'll help you get it set-up.

fed-ex freight is your best bet since it will be under 150 lbs. they also offer insurance.

any questions let me know i'll be glad to help out. be sure to take photos of the whole process and what it looks like on the truck too. in case it has a rough ride and they try to say you did it. i had a shaper that started i a full wooden crate and got WA state wrapped in a blanket after a very rough ride!!!

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
I'd bust up an old shipping pallet and use that to make a crate.
Free and quick.

pete

Robert Arrowood

New User
Robert Arrowood
Phil you made a very good point.Dock hands can and do get kinda rough. Might not hurt to mark it "DO NOT STACK".Might help a little.

Ralrick

New User
Rick
Thanks - I'll look into Fed-ex freight. I did the online quote from freightquote.com and it came back with prices starting at $160 - seems way too high for this. Hopefully fed ex freight is better.

Ralrick

New User
Rick
Good idea on using a pallet - I was thinking I might just buy a 2x4 and a sheet of plywood but maybe the pallet would work well.

This is a loft and lie machine used for bending irons . . . I think a big chunk of my sales price is going into shipping . . . I knew I wanted a local buyer but just had no hits off craigslist. Oh well

striker

New User
Stephen
Rick,

Are you over complicating this or am I missing something? UPS will take up 150 lbs (with an added charge) and a length X girth of 165 in. I would think you would be fine with heavy duty box cardboard box & packing material.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Rick, if you need pallets, I can supply you with all you need. I've got them coming out my ears at work, we burn most of them.
Dave:)

CarlaG

New User
Carla
Our Office Depot will pack and ship UPS...they might have a box that would work. Also, might try a refrigerator box, they are good and sturdy.

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
Rick:

Try contacting Rodger at East Wake Hardwoods. He has a deal with a shipping company and might be able to get you a good shipping rate. They pick up and deliver to his place of business in Zebullon.

Doug

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS