Shellac ... then Lacquer...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Lyddon

New User
Joe Lyddon
I know that shellac will overlay a shellac coat & blend into the previous coat...

How about lacquer (spray Deft clear)? Will lacquer blend into previous coats the same way that shellac does... or does one have to lightly sand between coats?

Will lacquer go directly over shellac (the 1st coat) without any light sanding before applying the lacquer?

It seems like I read where lacquer does blend into previous coats... but I don't remember for sure...

Thank you in advance...

DWSmith

New User
David
The solvents in lacquer will melt into the previous layer making one layer.

I have sprayed lacquer over shellac with some light sanding to the shellac.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
The main reason for sanding lacquer between lacquer coats is to smooth out any irregularities, runs, or dust nibs, etc, to keep them from getting larger as more coats are applied.

Lacquer and shellac are evaporative coatings, meaning they dry solely by the solvent evaporating. Add solvent and they re-dissolve.

It helps to scuff a really glossy shellac surface to give lacquer a "tooth" to adhere to. Because the solvents are different, the lacquer solvent does not dissolve the shellac as well as a second coat of shellac will, and vice versa.

Varnish and oil based coatings tack up by the solvent evaporation, but actually dry by a chemical reaction with oxygen. They cannot be redissolved because they are chemically altered as they cure.

Go

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
I agree w/ David. You can spray lacquer over shellac w/ no problems. Personally, I would lightly sand the shellac (320 grit) just to level it out and take care of any dust nibs that may have gotten in.

What is the purpose of the shellac if you are going w/ lacquer for the finish coat?

Bill

Joe Lyddon

New User
Joe Lyddon
Thank you all for your valuable comments...

I like the shellac primarily for the color & the way it looks...

I was going with a lacquer top coat to really give it super protection.

Howard Acheson

New User
Howard
>>>> I was going with a lacquer top coat to really give it super protection.

"Super protection" is not a trait of NC lacquer. It is not much more protective than shellac. Most of the same chemicals that will damage shellac, will also damage NC lacquer. The newer two part pre or post catalyzed lacquers are much more durable than even oil based varnish. But, they can be dangerous to use unless protective gear is worn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS