Shellac color consistency?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thrytis

New User
Eric
Is color across different shellac sellers pretty consistent, or is there likely to be noticeable color differences between say J.E. Moser orange shellac and Shellac Finishes' orange shellac? I realize it is a natural product so there probably is differences just between batches of the same source, but is it more so between sources? I just ran out at the tail end of my project and thinking about getting some from a closer source than Shellac Finishes so i don't have to wait the week for shipping. :BangHead:

Thanks!

pboro

New User
Bob
Ya hit the nail on the head when you said' I realize that it is a natural product'. I try to add the new batch when I'm down to 1/2 of what I'm using. Luckily, the new coat dissolves into the old so that helps with the color matching. I've added dye (Transtint) to tweak the color too...

thrytis

New User
Eric
Does this mean different batches from the same supplier is likely to be the same likely hood of a similar color as between different vendors? Other than SealCoat, i've only purchased shellac once.

I'll mix with the old stuff as much as i can, but i only have about a half a cup of mixed shellac left. I thought i was going to make it, but i'm probably about an ounce of flakes short!

Thanks!

pboro

New User
Bob
Let's say we're talking garnet shellac. One container of shellac will be a shade different than another. I would imagine (but am not 100% sure) that Bullseye has a uniform color test as part of their QC. However, I buy bags of flakes from many sources (whoever has the best price of what I'm looking for) and I've not had a problem with color matching- probably for many reasons, including each coat is such a thin film- say compared to varnish, shellac builds up by dissolving into the prior coat, & the color differences a minute. Just my 2cents...

JohnW

New User
John
Eric,
If you're just adding coats to what's already there, you should be fine as it does blend in. If you have some pieces finished (complete) and want others to match, you just need to be careful. Pre-mixed colors within the same brand are very close. Cross brands are "probably" close but no guaranties. The oranges will be close and you can add a tiny bit of tint if needed, or adjust color by number of coats melted into each other.

Also, the lighter your natural wood color, the more any difference might show up. Any color difference will typically show up more on maple than on walnut.

I have some orange flakes here in Charlotte, and several other reddish colored flakes. You're welcome to some and should be able to match your existing orange very closely. A batch can be finish ready is just a few hours with my handy dandy coffee grinder (Just don't tell LOML)

PM me if you'd like to try it.

John W

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors