Shellac: Article in FWW

Status
Not open for further replies.

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
http://www.finewoodworking.com/FWNPDF/011215048.pdf

I think you can view this PDF if you are not a member?? Maybe not? This is a superb article on this finish material. I have purchased all types of shellac over the years and I can say with confidence that Vijay's shellac is the highest quality and the price is great. I think he gives a discount to NCWW members.

He dates his shellac flakes. This is unusual. Vijay goes to the makers of the product and selects the best stuff. The first time you dissolve his flakes, you know you have some great stuff. Over the years I have mixed the flakes, shaken the bottle and had to wait about a day for the flakes to fully dissolve. When I called Vijay, he told me to throw it in the trash or spread it out and see how it dries on a sheet of glass-- time it. I did. He sent me a pound of shellac free of charge and told me if his shellac didn't dry in half the time he would send me another pound and keep going till I was convinced his shellac was the best. That's product assurance.

If you work with him, you will be pleased.
I have his video on French Polishing with shellac. Its a very straight forward presentation with no bells and whistles just premium instruction and results that will impress you. His shellac and his instructional dvd are endorsed by some top notch builders.

Hope you can view this article on line.

dan

Sully

New User
jay
It sounds like an interesting article but I couldn't see it without being asked to sign up for FWW. So, it may not be publicly available.

mlzettl

Matt
Corporate Member
I will second what Dan said about Vijay's shellac. Truly a high quality product that comes with excellent instructions and information about shellac.

The article is fascinating. After learning how this stuff is produced, I'm surprised that it doesn't cost more than gold.

If I'm just using shellac as a sealer coat, I will use the canned Zinsser product, but if I am using it as the actual finish, I now mix my own from flakes. The various types and colors allow you to tone the wood for the appearance that you want. Well worth the effort and minor inconvenience of mixing it yourself.

Matt

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Vijay also offers NCWW DQ members a discount too. I'm not sure where on the site the secret code is stored anymore. PM me and if you know the 2 magic words I'll tell you:gar-Bi.

decibel

New User
Patrick
I've been pleased with his shellac flakes as well. I also used the NCWW discount.:icon_thum

Dragon

New User
David
All this info on shellac all of sudden when I'm getting into the stuff. NEATO!!:eusa_danc Guess I'll have to see if I can run down a copy of the mag. tomorrow. FWIW, went to Lowe's today and perused the shellac section. Bummer. All they had was the Lot # coded stuff I already have and some "clear" Zinser shellac dated 9/10/08. I didn't buy any and told the sales person that I was looking for some that was dated more recent. Don't want to buy any 2 year old product. Looks like I'm gonna be making my own from flakes pretty soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors