Shelix installation done!!! WOW!!!!! *pics*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
I finished installing the Byrd Shelix head in my Delta 15" planer tonight. Here is the new journal waiting to be installed:

Shelix-2.JPG

Here is the old journal waiting to be shipped (to whoever buys it
grin.gif
) :

Shelix-3.JPG

I would have taken pics of my planer during the process, but the pics and step by step instructions on the Byrd web site were much better.

The Byrd instructions made the installation pretty straight forward but definitely not for the mechanically challenged. You end up completely disassembling both the infeed/outfeed roller drive mechanism and the oil filled gear box (that was a little messy). During the process I think I found the reason for the minor oil leak I have noticed (and that many owners of the Chiwanese clones have also experienced) - when I went to loosen the five bolts securing the cover on the gear box at first I thought I was using an undersized allen wrench since it just spun- it turned out it was the right size, but ALL five bolts were VERY loose. The only special tool needed was the gear puller (loaner from local auto parts store) I used to remove the bearing on the pulley end of the old journal. Other tools used were metric socket or box wrenches, allen wrenches, and a dead-blow hammer. No extra parts leftover- was missing one bolt- lost in the shop somewhere- I had a spare :slap:

Initial observations-

Noise- QUIET!!! WAY, WAY, quieter than with the standard cutter!!!!!!!!! and WAY WAY WAY WAY quieter than my old Delta lunchbox planer. The sound level increased only slightly when I turned on my DC. Cutting sound on a 12" wide board was much less than with the old straight blade. I no longer need hearing protection when planing.

Cut- clean smooth finish on a nasty piece of gnarly white oak. No tearout/chipout. No milling marks. With carbide edges, and 4 edges per cutter insert, this set of inserts should last a long time.

This thing was expensive though I think prices should come down in time, but so far I think it will be worth it.

M

McRabbet

Sounds like you had fun doing this installation and reaped the rewards of smoother planing when complete! I'm jealous!

But, I'd still wear hearing protection, because I'm sure it still makes enough noise to cause hearing damage -- why take the chance, I say!

IMHO, Peltor's are worth the effort....

Just my .02 -- Rob

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Congrats!

Question Alan, what made you decide to stick with the 15" and get the shelix versus say upgrading to a slightly larger one and doing it then? Is 15" as big as you plan to ever go?

I have held off more so thinking I would like to upgrade at some point to an 18 or 20 as I do have some very wide boards at times.

Just looking for your perspective.

J

jeff...

Hey can I stop by - I have just a little bit of wood to be planed. I bet that head makes all the differnce in the world.

U SUCK

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Congrats!

Question Alan, what made you decide to stick with the 15" and get the shelix versus say upgrading to a slightly larger one and doing it then? Is 15" as big as you plan to ever go?

I have held off more so thinking I would like to upgrade at some point to an 18 or 20 as I do have some very wide boards at times.

Just looking for your perspective.

Well, if money were no object a 20" with Shelix would be the way to go, but frankly I don't do that much wide panel stuff, plus I have a 20" dual drum sander to finish the occasional wide panel. In reality, except for the higher noise and lower power, my Delta lunch box could handle the majority of my needs.

The prices of the Shelix seen to be coming down- Grizzly recently has a sale going on and the 15" Shelix is under $600 and the 20" is $850.

I got the Shelix it because it is quieter, no more knife setting, LONG lasting carbide cutters, four edges per cutter, and it does a nice job on the crazy grain in my cheap lumber (a LOT less waste).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS