SHELIX head for my Delta jointer with or without bearings

Status
Not open for further replies.

mpholway

Board of Directors, Events Director
Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
I am going to be doing a TON of jointing and had such a great result replacing my traditional planer head with a SHELIX I wanted to do the same with my Jointer. The only ones currently in stock are without bearings. Does anyone have any experience swapping out the bearings on a jointer head rather than just replacing the entire unit?
Thanks,
Matt

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
Just a note, unless you can easily remove the existing bearings without applying any significant force on the outside race (such as through differential cooling and heating, without overheating the lubricant, or applying force only on the inner bearing when removing it from the existing head) it is often better to just go ahead and plan on replacing the bearings rather than trying to reuse them as they are not terribly expensive.

As a rule you don’t ever want to be transferring force from be race to the other via the ball bearings or you can distort the races which will damage the bearing after awhile since the bearings are much harder than the races.

So if I were taking the project on, I would simply go out and buy some new quality bearings for the new Shelix cutter head and go ahead and leave the bearings in the original cutterhead and pack it safely in the box in case I ever need to temporarily swap back in the original cutterhead or if I wanted to move the Shelix over to a new Jointer in the future (you can then sell off the existing jointer with its original cutterhead in place, for example). I would also select shielded bearings over open bearings to help keep the dust out of the new bearings (at least shielded on one side, the side facing the cutterhead, if not both sides).

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I did mine on my 16in invicta jointer which is similar to a Delta. I ended up buying new bearings just to be safe so I had to install them. Dry ice and acetone was my friend and made it quick and simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS